Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullet advice
03-28-2023, 06:41 PM,
Bullet advice
Seeking advice from those of you who have done it.
My three sons surprised me on my 70th birthday with a buffalo hunt.
My rifle is a 45-70 Shiloh. I have no intentions of shooting farther than 200 yards and would much prefer 100.
What are your opinions on the best bullet for this hunt? I want it to be grease groove for easy follow up if needed. I have an RCBS 420 grain gas check mold that I bought for an 86 Winchester. Otherwise, a Brooks 520 Postell and BACO 520 Creedmoor. I certainly don’t mind buying a new mold for this important event.
I have plenty of time to sort this out. The hunt is booked for early December.
Your advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jim
03-28-2023, 10:13 PM,
RE: Bullet advice
Any of the three will work but you might wasn’t to test that gas check bullet if you’re planning on using Blackpowder with it
A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-29-2023, 10:13 AM,
Re gas check bullet with BP
It is noted that the 303 British cartridge was initially loaded with BP and a
Cupro Nickel jacketed bullet
I do not see a problem with gas check bullet as long as the base /gas check diameter is at least at groove diameter or a thou or so larger
Arnie
03-29-2023, 02:01 PM,
Jim,

I have taken three Bisons but they were all with a .44-90BN and the .44-77 but I have taken Deer with the .45 calibers up in the UP Michigan.
The three bullets you mentioned I would not use a Creedmoor type nose if you want a reliable follow up shot unless you carry a pistol cleaning rod with a damp bore mop in your back pocket to sab the throat so you van make a follow up shot.
The Postell is a little friendlier if you seat it properly in the case to allow you to shoot with a fouled chamber.
I would use, and I do use the Lyman 457-121 PH. The old Parker Hale in my opinion and it has never failed me to fill the freezer and make a follow up shot if it was needed.
This bullet carries plenty of lune and the ogive has the proper shape for shooting in a fouled throat.
The Lyman mould drops a bullet a little undersized because it was originally designed for the Parker Hale Whitworth muzzle loader but the Lyman mould will drop it slightly undersized but it works with 1/20 too 1/30 alloy very well and the weight is about 475 gr depending on your alloy mix. And it is a good bullet for any distance you want to try to take the Buff down at.
I sent Tom at Accurate Moulds the proper diameter for the .450-458 B/G and it is in his catalog.
You can use my mould either the Lyman or the mould from Tom to cast a bunch for testing and for the hunt.
I can bring it to Lodi or to Arnies shoot if he has one this spring.

Can I come along for this hunt??? Big Grin
Bison will out do Beef anytime.... Big Grin

Kurt
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
03-30-2023, 06:38 AM,
Thanks all.
I know the gas checked bullet shoots well for me. I’ve used it in the past and shot a couple deer with it. I like the flat metplat but wondered if I should be using a heavier bullet for Bison. It does load easily into a fouled barrel but I wish it held more lube.
Kurt,
I like the looks of the bullet you’ve suggested. I may take you up on the offer. What is the catalogue number for Accurate molds?
Jim
03-30-2023, 10:22 AM,
Jim,

It's on page 24 46-467-L Inspired by the Lyman .457-121.
For some reason he has it listed at the base at .46 but he did send me mine at .458" but if you decide to have him make it tell him the base diameter you want and he will make it so. Tom is real good full filling your request.
If you need it now I can send you the Lyman and the Accurate mould so you can try the bullet from each mould.
I use that bullet in my Marlin 95 and they shoot very good.

I Played with it at the Quigley and shot the 1026 yard target at Baker and 10 for 10 on the 600 stop sign at the Q and 6 out of 10 on the 1026 at Baker using the .45-90.
It also was a favorite bullet for Bill Bagwell and he said that he tried that bullet when he stopped at the Wasserburger range and it shot well on the 1000 yard in some good winds.

For hunting I would cast it with 1/20 T/L so it holds better for a good pass through.

Iy you need to cast some soon let me know and I can send you the moulds so you can cast a hundred pounds of alloy Big Grin
But I would just as soon not send them because things get lost. Been through that with USPS a couple times.

Kurt
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
03-30-2023, 01:28 PM,
JIM<
I have just the bullet for you that has been a great deer killer in my M1886 Win 45-70.
It is the discontinued Lyman 457483, a gas check bullet, 385 grains with LARGE lube grooves AND, mold modified for a 1/4" flat meplat
Hole on a moment and I will find and get you pics of it.
AND, you could borrow the mold to make plenty for practice and the Buffalo hunt
03-30-2023, 01:43 PM,
Photo  RE: Bullet advice
Attached is a PIC of the mold.
I originally modified the mold with the bottom attachment
for a Hollow Point pin.
Then shot a 185pound deer with it thru and thru.
Ruined the rib roasts so going forward, I went with the flat
pin for a 1.4" Flat Meplat.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

03-30-2023, 04:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-30-2023, 04:54 PM by beltfed.)
JIM,
Attached is a pic of my 45 cal bullets/molds that I have

Left to right
500 gr RN Lyman Government bullet 457125
480 grain Lyman gas check RN
480 grain Lyman gas check RN gas checked and lubed
385 grain Lyman 457483 gas check RN
385 gr Lyman 457483 gas check FN

Right now, I think I would try to go with the 500gr RN that was
indeed the bullet probably used to kill a lot of Buffalo back in the day
with the Trapdoor Springfield and issue ammo

I can provide enough of the 500 grain bullets just now for you to test.
But note, these are of my 9+1 ww/lino alloy. they have shot well in my
Trapdoor Springfield with BP loads of Swiss 1.5, and previously with Goez
Cartridge or 2F
Arnie

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

03-31-2023, 07:53 AM,
Arnie and Kurt,
Thanks so much for your offers to loan me your molds. I may take you up on it later. I’ll no doubt see you both sometime during the upcoming shooting season, so no need to send.
Right now I’m still up to my butt in winter up here. I’m trying to make syrup now but the run is on and off with the crazy winter we’re having.
When I finally can get to my rifle range without snowshoes, I’ll start by testing my RCBS bullet and then go from there. Kurt’s point about a profile that allows easy reload is very good advise!
Jim