Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we worried too much
03-03-2023, 12:10 PM,
Are we worried too much
About a wad over powder with a gap between the wad and bullet base??
Going to the range today with my .38-50 Hepburn and just decided to wait for the sun to come out so I can see the target. I put the tang sight back on to give the final fire forming for the last 50 cases so I looked at some Tube of with the Stevens Rifle and I ran across one with John Metz shooting his Schuetzen rifle and how he loaded the shell plus breach seating the bullet.
Seeing John load the case with a powder drop and inserting a wad over his smokeless powder load it looked like the wad was below the case mouth quite a ways, cant see how deep it was but from the wad seater he used it looked quite deep.
I don't know how many of you breach seat but seating the bullet with a breach seater it will be usually at least at the case mouth or slightly ahead of it when the bullet is seated into the throat, mine is usually about 1/8" in front of the case mouth.
He sure looked like he can make that rifle do it's job in fine shape.
Maybe I should have a .32-20 barrel cut for one of my CPA's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eewbF0-gfDM
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
03-03-2023, 12:38 PM,
RE: Are we worried too much
Maybe maybe not. A lot of those old schuetzen guns are said to have ringed throats. My guess it's it's liable to be more of a result of the softer steels and iron used in barrels then than now.
Roberts talked about the breech seating and the gaps between bullet and powder in those rifles in his Schuetzen rifle book.
Better find a supply of 32-20 brass before pulling the trigger on a barrel. Stuff is scarce as hens teeth right now, and no more than it gets used it's liable to be a while before they gear up to make any more.
A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-03-2023, 01:09 PM,
Don,

Yes I have seen a Ballard Schuetzen rifles bore that had shadows in the throat.
I limit the gap at 1/8" if that much but usually the bullet base is right at the case mouth with a full load of black. My bullets are long enough that they are seated deep into the throat that I don't need that gap for tuning it.

There is a fine range north of me about a 5 hr run at the Eau Claire National Rifle Club where they hold some matches I been thinking about visiting a match held there.
There was a guy shot down at Milan IL and the feller running it shot up there and he said some of the guys dress like the old guys did. Sounds like a good match.

I'm starting to clean out my Shiloh rifles, mostly the eyeball buster large capacity calibers and down sizing the calibers. and I think I might have another CPA build with the Schuetzen wood. I would like the .32-40 or the Paul Shuttleworth chamber that has a good reputation.
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
03-03-2023, 02:01 PM,
They do a bunch of schuetzen stuff at Princeton Ia, just a few miles north of Davenport.
A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-03-2023, 05:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2023, 05:19 PM by Kurt.)
Heck Princeton is less than an hour from me. I had no idea they had a range.
OI have to check if the Schuetzen matches have any caliber restrictions. The little .22 hornet or A .225 would be a fine caliber for the distance they shoot.

Maybe Arnie will chime in on this. He shoots the Scheuetzen matches at Eau Claire.
03-03-2023, 08:32 PM,
The hornet would probably be the best bet. a 32-40 would be good too.
Carol's brother had a house right across the road from that range, before he bought a river captains house down on the bluffs right across from Rock Island.
I think that bunch at Princeton is sort of ground zero for Schuetzen, at least I see they run most of the postal matches and stuff.
03-03-2023, 08:53 PM,
I had two hornets and both shot very good. One had a 1-1/2"X26" have barrel that would shoot a 3/8" outside to outside group at 100. Also I had a .256 Marlin that shot well. I think I would most likely go with the .256 caliber because of the potentials it has.
There is some .32-40 brass and some .25-35 for sale on the ASSRA but he is very proud of it Big Grin
03-03-2023, 10:25 PM,
I like my Ballard 32-40 Just have to much other stuff going on to shoot it
Also hav a nice 38-55 Ballard
03-04-2023, 11:54 PM,
Kurt,
The Eau Claire ISSA Regional Schuetzen matches will be held over the Father's day weekend.
June 16,17,18. I arrive on Thursday early afternoon June 15. to set up camping at the range. Dry camp, no electricity, but a Great artesian well
in the pits for good water. No charge for camping.
The club is also that afternoon erecting the canopy and benches for the matches.
Usual match sequence is :
Friday, The .22 rimfire match, the .25 cal match, and the BPCR match.
Saturday, the "Main Gun" Iron sight match Followed by the Picnic/Cookout by the club followed by invite to
Bill Flanigan's home for pie and ice cream and home made wine
Sunday, Main gun scope sight.
I frankly would suggest you could shoot your 38-50 /BP in BPCR match Iron Sights only, and you actually could shoot it in the main matches
Sat and Sunday. You could work up a smokeless load for it.
OR, I suggest a 32-40 BMW /14 twist would be Good-that is a 32-40 Ballard/Marlin/Winchester.

For a "Main Gun" I have been shooting a Brg BPCR that was rebarrelled to a 8 twist 32-40 Remington
ALA Dan Theodore. It is actually a true 30 cal with .308/300 groove and bore as was the Original 32-40 Rem.
that Preceded the 32-40 BMW.
Of course , you would shoot the .22 match on Friday with your CPA. This is a scope match as is the 25 cal match
I shoot a 25-20 WCF /Hoch single shot in the 25 cal match
A fun weekend with three days of shooting.
I think the total match fee for the whole weekend is only about $50 or so.
Arnie
03-05-2023, 12:20 AM,
OH, and out in Iowa there is the Davenport Schuetzen Club that is Very Active with
lots of matches. Their big summer match is quite something, I hear.
Actually, close to half of the people that shoot the June Eau Claire matches
are from the Davenport club. Some really 'hard holders"
So far I have only shot the
Eau Claire matches in June.
Again, these matches are "laid back" fun compared to the BPCR lodi matches,etc
Arnie