Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stevens single shot 22
01-19-2013, 09:51 AM,
stevens single shot 22
has anyone used or owned one of those little stevens falling block rimfires.
they seem like not bad value.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.
01-20-2013, 12:09 PM,
RE: stevens single shot 22
Bruce

If you are talking about the Favorite and the Model 44, I have owned each. A lot of the Favorite models have been well used but were good rifles when new. My 44 is a real tack driver. It was well cared for all it's life.

Regards

Brownie
I do not live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see the edge of it from here.

Most of what I tell you is true and the rest, well the rest is the West.
01-20-2013, 10:45 PM,
thanks brownie.
not sure what model, but i saw a new one in a shop the other day.
pretty basic, but looked ok for about $500.00.
the tang wasn't drilled for a sight, but that could be done.
when i saw this gun, i thought they might be quite popular with bpcr people, but responses here and on shiloh have been minimal to say the least.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.
01-22-2013, 10:25 AM,
Bruce

The original Stevens Falling Block rifles are quite popular with the crowd that shoots the 22 BPCR game.

Brownie

01-22-2013, 06:18 PM,
brownie,
i thought one might be good to practise sil with.
there is 22 ammo that is only about as powerful as an air rifle that would suit confined spaces.
bruce moulds.
01-23-2013, 12:31 AM,
Yes should be good practice, now that winter has stopped the match shoots in some parts of the country. Here in Central Oregon we shoot sil. out to 200 meters with the 22RF. But not when we have a foot of snow and it is about 10 degrees.

Hoping spring is just around the courner

Brownie

02-12-2013, 08:30 PM,
Hello, Bruce. The little Stevens .22's are nice little rifles. There are others in addition to the Favorite and the Model 44, its slightly bigger brother. The Crackshot is one I like too, although many don't think it's a safe shooter. Safe with standard velocity, IMO.

There are various models of the Favorite, and you might want to know more, especially if you're seeing one for $500!!! Be aware that the .22's get slightly higher prices than, say, the .25 rf and .32rf. Can't easily buy anything but collectable ammo for those two. Expensive.

Here's the best short course on the Favorite that I've found. You might want to read a bit before plunking down your allowance. http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_inf...rifles.htm

Some were pretty fancied up (rare) and most were pretty plain "boy's rifles." You can be entering pretty rarified air if you start talking with the Stevens freaks, but it sure can be fun too. My first Favorite got me into a small collection of boy's rifles. Not nearly as spendy a passtime as collecting, say, 19th century schuetzen rifles.

Check the bore! If it looks crudded up, ask that it be cleaned so you can see what you're getting. Check the total function of the action. Test fire if possible. It would have to be a pretty pristine and early Favorite for me to be thinking about parting with $500. I don't think I've paid as much as $400. Talking about a good tight shooter here, not a perfect specimen.

08-25-2013, 10:39 PM,
If it is a new Savage Favorite $500 sounds high. I think they retail under $400. I have a couple of them and they are good plinkers.