Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's sugar time
03-06-2021, 06:30 PM,
It's sugar time
Something a little different.
The snow is finally melting and the Maples ate waking up so I drilled some holes in the trees and collected some sap and cooked it down for a sample.
This year the trees are a little late to push the sap up but it was still below zero two weeks ago.
The first cook down I stopped at 228º and it formed sugar on the bottom of the card when it cooled over night so I put it back in the final cook down and pulled it off the fire at 223º and this is the results what you see in the photo.
It takes around 40 pat=rts sap to make 1 part syrup but this year the syrup is extra sweet and makes sugar at a lower temperature than normal so I will be getting more for less this year Big Grin
I have two pots cooking now that the trees are waking up.

I got 4 1/2 pints from 11 or 12 gallons sap ? but it's exceptionally good this year.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
03-06-2021, 07:29 PM,
RE: It's sugar time
I had an old farmer friend from west of Debuque that used to tap his maples every year, he would bring us a pint of maple syrup and she would bring a jar of her canned cherries and cherry jelly.. Man that made for some good pancakes and waffles.
A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-06-2021, 08:54 PM,
It sure is Don.
I had to pick up a few can lids at the store and they had some real Maple Syrup on the shelf in a small container that held less than a pint from the size of it and they had a $19.99 price on it. There was a Gal standing next to me and I said I'm getting ready to pour some in jars and I will have 3-4 gallons when I get done, maybe I should bring some here and put it on the shelves Big Grin
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
03-07-2021, 10:16 PM,
I love real maple syrup..
03-08-2021, 01:22 AM,
Is this the stuff Kurt??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

03-08-2021, 12:18 PM,
LOL but Gussy it tastes soooooogoooood Big Grin