Historic Shooting Forums
The little .22 - Printable Version

+- Historic Shooting Forums (http://historicshooting.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://historicshooting.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: The rifles (http://historicshooting.com/forum-2.html)
+---- Forum: Rimfire (http://historicshooting.com/forum-13.html)
+---- Thread: The little .22 (/thread-3256.html)

Pages: 1 2

The little .22 - Kurt - 05-21-2022

Raining today here so it was a good time to pull the bench under the porch overhang a little more and move the target in at 100 yards and find a zero for Arnies upcoming 100 yard Palma match at Wisconsin Rapids next Saturday.
It's been a no match season so far for me this season so it will be fun to make the 3-1/2 hr trip north. I hope I can remember to find the range Big Grin

This CPA .22 is a fine shooter and I shot 4 different .22 manufactures shells and it shoots them with equal accuracy.
I had to pull the MVA 5-B scope off the rifle and I put the DZ scope on and I was able to use it well enough to hit what I aimed at "D

This rifle is a switch barrel rifle for the .22 and the .44-75 Ballard but I think I will have Gail put the .44-75 barrel on another receiver so I don't have to keep switching barrels, I don't want this fine shooter loosen up.

Kurt

RE: The little .22 - Hiwall55 - 05-21-2022

I sent one of my CPA's to Gail to get a .22 set up and she told me you might as well just get another rifle you will be sending this back soon. Took it to Effingham weekend shoot and set it up after big bore shoot to .22 for afternoon shoot, got a 36 ,all lay down targets and 6 chickens. The next morning when it was time too change it back, just got my extra rifle out and shot it. Stayed that way till fall and sent it back then.

RE: The little .22 - Creeker - 05-21-2022

It's great to shoot under the porch.

RE: The little .22 - Kurt - 05-21-2022

Bill,

your right. That thought has entered my mind just having another build. I been sizing down with the larger calibers and I have to many as is. Around here there is more .22 stuff than the BPCR activity.

Creeker,

Yes it's nice when you have neighbors that tolerate the noise but I don't abuse it. My range is 135 yards but I can get 180 or 200 but I just miss the house by 8-10 feet Big Grin
The club range is just across the cornfield and it's just 200 yards so I shoot the large rifles there and it's a good friendly club.

Kurt

RE: The little .22 - Tgc - 05-22-2022

Kurt, in the photo of the porch shooting range, is that the gypsy wagon? I had always imagined it would be a little less refined. Tim

RE: The little .22 - Kurt - 05-22-2022

LOL, Tim yes but it's an upgrade from the old Horse drawn wagon Big Grin
But with the way these feed prices for that thing are going up I might go back with the Horses Big Grin

RE: The little .22 - JKR - 05-23-2022

Kurt,
My dad was about the last of the horse farmers in this area. I grew up with heavy horses.
Lately I’ve watched the progress of Amish farms that have started up in our county. I’m thinking these people might just have the right idea.
Your bpcr 22 sure sounds like fun. I’m starting to think I should have one. Talk of the match at Lodi inspired me to get out my old Anshultz match rifle and try some 200 yard shooting. Figuring out the wind is a very close kin to shooting the big rifles at 1000 yds.
Jim

RE: The little .22 - Distant Thunder - 05-23-2022

The transfer of values between .22 LR and BPTR, also BPCRS, has always been figured to be high. Few things beat .22 for just pure fun! Big Grin

If you don't have a .22 BPTR you should absolutely have one!

See, I can play the role of enabler too!

RE: The little .22 - Don McDowell - 05-23-2022

You're right Jim, the 22bptr shot from 200 yards is a hoot.
At Alliance they have started a 22 creed moor match, where it's shot 1/4 scale of creed moor, with steel targets, with swinging centers. Center hits count 5 and outer hits count 3. Haven't had a chance to shoot that yet, but it looks like a hoot.

RE: The little .22 - Kurt - 05-23-2022

Jim,

I was born in Germany and when I left 5 years after the war the farmers still used Horses and some had steam engines pulling a two gang plow over the field with a cable and the two gang they would flip over when it was drawn back and the beer wagons with the wood barrels were still drawn with draft horses and the Gypsy's would show up now and then in their wagons camped by the river and I used to watch then dancing to their music around the camp fire at night. Mom always scolded me for that because she said they will steel you. Big Grin
After the war I saw some tanks with the gun turret removed pulling the plow and other uses Big Grin

I don't know how the Farmers this year can make a go of it with the price of the fuel this year over $6 a gallon in these parts When I see their $400K 300 HP tractors making dust out in the fields.

If your not to far from Wisconsin Rapids Wis. come on and join us at Arnies match next Saturday. You can use my .22 rifle. it's a 12# CPA and I have plenty of ammo for both of us.