Historic Shooting Forums
Need some help - Printable Version

+- Historic Shooting Forums (http://historicshooting.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://historicshooting.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: The rifles (http://historicshooting.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Need some help (/thread-2779.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Need some help - Hiwall55 - 04-19-2019

I recently traded for a Winchester Creedmoor Hiwall by Miroko in 45/90 with a 30 inch barrel, the problem is that it has .260 of freebore in the chamber. I can't get it to shoot very well so I was thinking of having someone pull the barrel off and cut some off the chamber end and rechamber.
Any thoughts?

RE: Need some help - Don McDowell - 04-19-2019

Have you tried seating a money bullet out 2 or more lube grooves?
That's what I have to do with the CPA and it's freebore

RE: Need some help - Hiwall55 - 04-19-2019

Yep, tried a 535 money and a Paul Jones 540 postal seated out to the lands and OE and swiss ladder loads and can do no better than disappointing. It never does get any leading just mediocre accuracy. I have a Brooks 560 grain creedmoor I might try ,but am loading for my 44 Maynard now for a match next weekend.

RE: Need some help - Don McDowell - 04-19-2019

Wonder if getting a handful of 2.6 cases and trimming them back to fit the chamber might work.

As far as that barrel would need to be set back to clean up that chamber, I almost wonder if a complete rebarrel might not be the best route in the end.

RE: Need some help - Gunlaker - 04-19-2019

Dan Theodore designed a bullet for those particular rifles. There is a guy on the Shiloh forum that goes by the name of "Semtav". From what I remember he has the same rifle and I think he'll know all about it.

Chris.

RE: Need some help - Gussy - 04-20-2019

I have the same rifle, also the 34" barrel version.

Get 2.6 brass and cut it to fit your chamber. It will solve your problem. I bought brass from Dan T when he sold his rifle, cut down 2.6.

I've considered getting a case stretcher.

RE: Need some help - Hiwall55 - 04-20-2019

(04-20-2019, 10:14 AM)Gussy Wrote: I have the same rifle, also the 34" barrel version.

Get 2.6 brass and cut it to fit your chamber. It will solve your problem. I bought brass from Dan T when he sold his rifle, cut down 2.6.

GM Thanks

RE: Need some help - Lumpy Grits - 04-20-2019

(04-20-2019, 10:14 AM)Gussy Wrote: I have the same rifle, also the 34" barrel version.

Could you tell us about the load you use?
Gary

Need some help - Hiwall55 - 04-20-2019

And could you tell me how long your cutdown brass is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

RE: Need some help - Gussy - 04-20-2019

Brass trim 2.425 target, NOT over 2.427 or under 2.422 for best accuracy.

Load, Postel or Money bullet,
060 poly wad, 85 gr 2F OE, plus or minus a couple depending on bullet.