Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting bullet
05-12-2012, 08:27 PM,
Hunting bullet
What is your favorite bullet design, lead mix, meplat, tapered bullet, etc for hunting?I know from talking to several guys that have hunted for a hell of a lot longer then me with bp guns there is definitely different views on the subject! I've killed antelope and deer with the 50 2 1/2, 45 2 4/10, 45 2 1/10, 44-40, 45-70 trapdoor, and 44 cal muzzleloader! They all died equally well with these guns! What I don't have experience with is shooting bigger animals with these guns!

Stephen
05-12-2012, 09:53 PM,
RE: Hunting bullet
(05-12-2012, 08:27 PM)Stephen Borud Wrote: What is your favorite bullet design, lead mix, meplat, tapered bullet, etc for hunting?I know from talking to several guys that have hunted for a hell of a lot longer then me with bp guns there is definitely different views on the subject! I've killed antelope and deer with the 50 2 1/2, 45 2 4/10, 45 2 1/10, 44-40, 45-70 trapdoor, and 44 cal muzzleloader! They all died equally well with these guns! What I don't have experience with is shooting bigger animals with these guns!

Stephen
Stephen--I've had my best success with a 45 caliber rifle shooting a 480 to 510 grain bullet. I have used both flat nosed and round nosed bullets such as the 457125 to good effect. The key seems to lie in getting complete pass through penetration which usually collapses the lungs and results in a quick kill.

I have had good luck with 30-1 alloy with both the round nose and the flat nose bullets. I find that the larger animals such as our buffalo and elk go down with these bullets with no problems. I was expecting the African plains game to be harder to put down, but discovered the Sharps 45-110 and the 45-70 worked as well over there as here. Shoot straight, rdnck.
05-15-2012, 10:04 AM,
I like this bullet in the 45 caliber sharps, and it work's well enough on targets so far in the 44 that hopefully come hunting season this fall I'll have some dead animal pictures to post with it.
Muzzleloaders it's tough to beat the good ol round ball.
[Image: paperpatch.jpg]
05-15-2012, 03:12 PM,
(05-15-2012, 10:04 AM)Don McDowell Wrote: I like this bullet in the 45 caliber sharps, and it work's well enough on targets so far in the 44 that hopefully come hunting season this fall I'll have some dead animal pictures to post with it.
Muzzleloaders it's tough to beat the good ol round ball.
[Image: paperpatch.jpg]
For a hunting bullet in the 45 caliber Sharps, there are three that have done well by me through the years. First, let me say that as far as I am concerned, I want a bullet that is accurate, HITS HARD, and GOES ALL THE WAY THROUGH. The complete pass through in the chest cavity gives an air leak that collapses the lungs and results in the quickest kill.

The three bullets are the 457125 Govt. bullet with a round nose. a paper patched bullet with the same round nose, and the Lyman 457121 Loverin bullet, now sometimes called the Parker Hale. The Loverin is a 480 grain bullet that has a flat nose, and it is a stone cold killer, heavy enough to drive all the way through.

I have used all three of these bullets in both North America and Africa with good success at 30-1 alloy. A good hit with any of them means a dead animal in short order. Shoot straight, rdnck.
05-16-2012, 07:12 PM,
I bought the Lee pointy bullet--45 caliber--500 grain mold, to play with, while waiting for a BACO Money bullet mold------------since the lee ended up sitting with no real purpose i, well umm "converted it" to a 500 grain huntin bullet by setting the mold up in the mill-----indicating in the cavity and running a 7/16 center cutting end mill into the cavity ------------ the result is a really ugly 500 grain slug out of wheel weights with a 7/16 meplat.

The crazy bullet shoots to about 2 minutes at 200 yards.

Been trying to find a hog to ventilate with it but no luck yet-------we have maybe one more week of "huntable" weather (it'll be 90's+ here soon till october)

Betcha it makes a helluva "kerrsplat" when i do find a walking sausage to try it on

Dave
05-16-2012, 07:21 PM,
Yeh with that much meplat the sound effects will probably be more spectacular.
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM,
Holy smokes Dave thats a flat nose bullet!

Stephen
05-17-2012, 07:36 AM,
It sure is Steve--------------happened i had a brand new end mill and two cavities to experiment with----------i ran a 5/16 in the second cavity-------------its uglier than the first one.

I'll see if i can get a couple of pics this evening.

Most of the wild hogs around here run 100 to 200 pounds -----------i'l report terminal balistics results when they occur

Keep well and stay safe

Dave
05-18-2012, 07:55 PM,
Dave I would like to see that bullet and the mold mod!

Stephen
05-18-2012, 08:10 PM,
Hi Steve:

With a little luck i'll have a few minutes tomorrow to get a pic up---------mold and bullet

Dave
Ya ain't lost if ya don't care where ya are