Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Paper Patch Journey with the 40-65
04-08-2024, 03:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2024, 05:31 PM by Steveu. Edit Reason: Added photo )
My Paper Patch Journey with the 40-65
All,
I would like to start by saying how great the members of this forum are. If you dig long enough you will find what your looking for. I have read a lot of posts from Jim Kluskens, Don and Kurt. I also had advice from Kenny Wassaburger and design expertice from Arnie Seitz with the final design of the DDEPP. I thank you all!
I also want to thank Doug Fleming at BPCR3D.com for his paper patching tools and videos on how to wrap patches.

This all started when I messaged Jim Kluskens about the PP bullet he used for his 40-50 SBN with a 18" twist in Jan. 2022. I was looking for a better bullet for the ram line and take care of the leading issue I was having. Unfortunately, I did not follow thru with Jim in a timely manner.

I picked up a Highwall in 40-65 and decided that I wanted to shoot it in some local long range gong matches and maybe some BPTR matches and my GG bullet wasn't going to work. After lots of reading, I decided on the DDEPP bullet. I sent the design to Steve Brooks and got the mould in 3 weeks. I used Arnies 9+1 alloy to start. Wet patched with SC55W, the 400 grain bullet sits on top of 70 grains of Swiss 1.5 fg with a .060" ldpe wad to top it off. The seating depth is .150". I loaded the Starline cases that I formed using a RCBS 40-65 forming die and finished it off in the RCBS FL cowboy die that I had lapped out the neck.

I loaded 8 rounds up and went to the range to shoot at 200 yards. 2 warm up shots and 6 for a group. Wind was at 11:00-1:00, 10 to 15 mph and about to rain. Avg. velocity was 1325fps, ES 20 fps with WWLRM primers. I also recovered a bullet I shot this morning from the berm.

Now I just have to figure out the case stretch issue! Cheers, Steve

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

04-08-2024, 04:21 PM,
RE: My Paper Patch Journey with the 40-65
Well Steve I cant find fault with the results load and alloy.
The alloy has fully obdurated filling the grooves and right at the patch line. You're on the way with a good start.
Where are you shooting iron critters at?
I been looking and expanding ranges shooting that game. The old broken back just dont like sitting behind the steering wheel for a lot of long hours and days anymore.

Good work.

Kurt
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
04-08-2024, 05:44 PM,
Kurt, there is a gong shoot in Crawford, Texas a few times a year and there is usually one in Haskell, Texas around the end of October. I did read somewhere that Oklahoma City club put in a 1000 yard range that’s about 4.5 hours from me.
04-08-2024, 10:46 PM,
That is a little too far for me anymore. Oklahoma City is 13 hrs from here.
I have four places to shoot matches within 6 hrs and also Lodi for the long range and a couple on the other side of Lake Michigan about 7 hrs.
And there are some farther east but I don't like the concrete jungles they call city's to drive through.
But Harris MN, Alma MI, Cadillac MI and Lodi are fine matches.
And some fun laid back one day shoots up in Wis. I really enjoy.
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.