Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Lee sizing die
08-26-2020, 08:23 PM,
The new Lee sizing die
The .441/505 DDEPP bullet is a little large for my .44-2.6 st. I cant seat it in a fired case using .0014" thick paper so I ordered a .444" Lee push through sizing die because they no longer make their what I thought was a fine 7/8X14 die for the loading press but now they came out with a new kit for their press the APP automatic processing press.
I don't need another loading press but using their dies I had to get their lock and load adapter and a 1.250 reducing bushing for my RCBS Rockchucker.
The die is fine but the bushing is plastic and the L&L adaptor is aluminum. Both won't take a lot of pressure if needed but it's the usual Lee product.
I threaded the bushing in from the bottom of the RCBS press and also the L&L adapter to use this sizing die and it's working just fine doing it this way.
The die is a simple small die one could make if they had a lathe or even a mill with a proper reamer to get a slight taper and the die is held in with a O ring.
It will be interesting to see how long this setup will hold together.
New dies are pretty low cost and the few bullets I ran through the .444 die I ordered irons out the paper very well as the old dies do so maybe it's a go so I can use this bullet in the .tight .44-100 chamber using .002" paper to keep the bore riding shank tight to the bore and the .444 base to fill most of the groove this bullet is designed for.

Time will tell.......Kurt
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.