Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whow!!!
09-02-2017, 08:12 PM,
Whow!!!
O>K>, I finely got all my stuff together last week. Took Mikes advice and loaded up some Carbine loads with 55 grains of pyrodex behind a 405 grain bullet for my Trapdoor. What a thrill, got BP smoke up my nose and think it's mixing in my blood. Now I'm thinking real hard about a reproduction Sharps or rolling block. Anybody got any suggestions?
By the way, how much should a 55 grain (vol.) charge weigh? Mine varied between 2.33 gn and 2.37 gn. so I used 2.36. My adjustable measure is graduated in 10 grain increments. Just guessed at half way between the lines.
You are wisest when you listen, especially to someone with experience.
NRA Life Member - Benefactor
09-02-2017, 11:30 PM,
RE: Whow!!!
Drop down to Publications and read some of The American Sharps Shooters. Those might help you decide what you want to get next. Of course, I will quickly recommend a rifle from C. Sharps Arms. Mike
09-03-2017, 09:54 AM,
I would suggest if you want a Sharps keep an eye on Shiloh's available gun list. If you want a hi wall, get a hold of C sharps.
A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
09-03-2017, 10:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 10:15 AM by Dan Cash.)
I was in that Rolling Block/Sharps dilemma back 2000. I ended up with a Shiloh Sharps .45-70 which I still have and still shoot. Not looking for anything else. Get a Sharps and never look back.
09-03-2017, 11:18 PM,
"Get a Sharps and never look back."

Yup!
I have several Shiloh Sharps and love each one. No better quality anywhere. You can get some good deals if you look on the auctions like Proxibid and others. You can go to Bill Goodman's website if you don't want to wait for a Shiloh http://www.goodmanguns.com/ He also has some listed on Guns International. I would get 'Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West' by Mike Venturino. The book will walk you through the various rifles and calibers used in the 1870's and for the buffalo hunts and teach you how to clean and care for your rifle and brass. Best of all he offers some black powder loads for each caliber using the different primers and powders so you can see what kind of groups to expect from each. It got me started with an historic rifle, cartridge caliber, and load to start out with. I have an original Remington rolling block Creedmoor that is fun to shoot. But the beautiful iconic Sharps are by far my favorites. Buy a slip-on recoil pad and get any caliber that strikes your fancy. I have several calibers from 45-70 to 50-90 and I love each one. I personally researched what was historical and what was not in the original Sharps rifles and got as historical as I could when I got my Shilohs. With the recoil pad I don't worry about recoil - I enjoy shooting each one. OK, OK, my buddy's 50-140 is a bit much.
09-09-2017, 09:09 PM,
As per advise. Got a sharps Old Reliable .45-70 coming from Cabela's gun library some place in Yankee land. Probably paid too much, but that's the way it is when you get a bug I guess. Supposed to be here in about 10 to 14 days but Irma may not agree with that schedule. I know I-75 north bound is a long Parking lot right now. I'll let you know how it works out.
You are wisest when you listen, especially to someone with experience.
NRA Life Member - Benefactor
09-11-2017, 10:07 PM,
You won't be sorry, BUT be forewarned!! It's a terrible bug, that latches on to you and sucks your blood like a vampire bat. Like the potato chip commercial "Betcha can't have just one" Enjoy your new passion.