Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I learned something....
03-06-2016, 09:48 PM,
I learned something....
this afternoon that put a grin on my kisser and that is the fact that this .54 Hawken with 34" barrel shoots a lot flatter than I was expecting! I took it to the 200 yard line and found out just how to hold to get POI toward center. The AR500 plate you're looking at below is 28" depth and about same width. I fired 3 shots initially....no hits! I suspected that I was holding too high so using the same placement of the front sight into the rear notch that I use at 100 yards I held the top of the front sight at the upper right hand corner of this plate and got the 3 hits you can see! The wind was blowing around 5 mph from 4 o/clock so that required the hold off I used! Drift wasn't as much as I expected either! This was using .530 Hornady roundball and 100 grs. KIK 2F powder. Didn't fire any more as I was losing light but I left the range with a grin on my face!

[Image: 25544913086_cc4080f19e_b.jpg]Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

[Image: 25478401481_feeb75db36_b.jpg]Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
"There is no freedom without gunpowder!"
03-06-2016, 10:17 PM,
RE: I learned something....
I'd be thrilled to do that off sticks at a hundred yards. I got a long way to go to get here!
03-07-2016, 12:34 AM,
Boy that's some fine shooting at 200 with a round ball!

Chris.
03-07-2016, 05:29 AM,
Chris

It's gonna be real fine shooting.....if I can 'consistently' duplicate that again!! The rifle will shoot a ragged hole at 60 yards....so time will tell!!
03-07-2016, 12:43 PM,
Rick.

You got the front stuffer working for sure. I cant get three that close @ 200 with my .58 Hawken or .54 Southern flint rifle.
Very good for sure.

Kurt
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
03-08-2016, 01:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016, 01:29 AM by Rick Mulhern.)
I'd like to get things squared away such that I could hold at 6 o/clock on that plate from 200 and get center hits but I'm wondering where I'd be at say 100 yards? I've just got to do a little more shooting and maybe a little more filing on the front sight.

Tried sending you a PM Kurt but system said you were at the 'limit' on PMs!!

?????????
03-08-2016, 01:33 AM,
Rick use the points on that buckhorn and the blade like a 3 dot sight. I had ol klatch so that a 6 hold at 100 with the blade in the notch as per normal, and then held the blade in line with the points for 200 , and shade above that for longer distances.
A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-08-2016, 01:01 PM,
Thanks Don!
03-08-2016, 01:05 PM,
Bet.
You can also use an adaptation of Elmer Keith's handgun sight by scrubbing a line on the front sight for the correct amount of hold up for an extended distance, if you have a tall enough front blade.
A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-08-2016, 03:18 PM,
I used to put a strip of masking tape on the flats and put lines every inch from the front sight back. Then I put a bucket out at 200 yards if that was the distance I wanted to shoot. I would line up the marks on the tape with the top of the rear sight till I hit the bucket. After a few shots fired I would learn just how much barrel I needed above the rear sight. My front stuffers are zeroed at 50 yards. Halve of the sight blade is above the rear sight for 125 yards.
Put the top of the front blade on where you want to hit and the rear sight when it's past the zero where ever it needs to be like 1/2 blade down or at the base of the front sight. Of course hold off for wind drift too Big Grin You shoot it enough you will know where to hold the sights. And after a while you will be shooting with the sights flat and holding over and left or right for the wind at what ever distance you want to shoot.

I cleaned the PM folders out last night. I'm back to 1% Smile Man the folders where full.
The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.