Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rimfire Bufffalo Silhouette
07-20-2012, 08:34 PM,
Rimfire Bufffalo Silhouette
Hello, everyone. I used to be quite active in a schuetzen type shooting club..but that has gone by the wayside, and no more single-shot competition in my area. There is Cowboy action about 20mi from me..but not really interested in the 3 gun shoot-um-fast & required dress-up foofaraw. However, once a month, before their regular matches, they have a long-range shoot..200yd IHMSA pistol sized ram..any traditional caliber..lead bullet only..I might get out and try this...allow me to dust off those neglected single-shots..dress is jeans,boots, hat & western shirt..I can handle that!
What I have had in my mind for some time was a reduced silhouette .22 rimfire match..I know they have their formal .22 BPCR matches ...along with all the restrictions as the big bore matches..exposed hammer, no hooked buttplates, etc.
What I had in mind was based on the "hunters" class in IHMSA..a bunch of targets placed in various positions..and distances..all un-standard..and unknown to shooter.
X sticks could be used..and this could be open to any .22 rimfire rifle..differernt classes for action type & sights COULD be utilized..but it seems to me, if we want new blood in our shooting sports..the less restrictions, the better.
The event could be timed & shooter would have to knock down as many buffs in his "stand" as he could..say 10 targets.
Now if this new take on the old time shooting gallery wouldn't bring in the kiddies..and adults too..I don't know what would!
I have cut out about 1/2 dozen buffalo silhouettes from 1/4" steel. I got the pattern on-line & they are 6 1/2" long X 4" high. Holes are drilled for hanging..or they could be set on bases for knock down.
My home range only goes to 100yds., & I haven't had time to try them out yet..Perhaps I could bring them out to Cowboy Action shoot & give them a whirl?
What do you guys think?Huh

07-20-2012, 10:31 PM,
RE: Rimfire Bufffalo Silhouette
Put them on swingers so it doesn't take so many and see what happens.
Also might look into the 22bpcr association that has just fired up. Need up to 200 yds for that one, but again a set of the critters on swingers would be a good place to get started and see what interest there is.
07-21-2012, 01:57 PM,
Sound like an absolute hoot to me--------------inexpensive to create the targets----portable---------inexpensive ammo----------fun--------------swingers would be the way to go with some target motion to score a hit-------a gravity resetting buffalo silhouette would be pretty simple to fab up.

Completely agree on minimal rules----------classes based on action type and sights and thats it--------keeping it simple and fun would be the keys in my book

Looking forward to this discussion

Dave
Ya ain't lost if ya don't care where ya are
07-22-2012, 10:36 AM,
(07-21-2012, 01:57 PM)Dave Roelle Wrote: Sound like an absolute hoot to me--------------inexpensive to create the targets----portable---------inexpensive ammo----------fun--------------swingers would be the way to go with some target motion to score a hit-------a gravity resetting buffalo silhouette would be pretty simple to fab up.

Completely agree on minimal rules----------classes based on action type and sights and thats it--------keeping it simple and fun would be the keys in my book

Looking forward to this discussion

Dave

Dave here's a template you can use, and blow it up or shrink it down some.
[Image: 22buffs.jpg]
07-22-2012, 03:26 PM,
Hey Don:

Thanks i'll noodle a bit this week and see if i can come up with something as far as a design for an action target stand of some sort.

Has to be compact and perhaps fold up for transport and storage----------1/4 material should be plenty to soak up 40 grain slugs-------Perhaps a bent up stand out of 1/2 inch re-bar-----inexpensive and available.

This is gonna be a kik

Dave

07-22-2012, 05:58 PM,
Dave we'll want some pictures when you get er done.
07-22-2012, 07:13 PM,
Not a problem Don-------------i'll generate them in 2-d cad and have them in a pdf file for folks to use--------------------one question comes to mind as central to the design

How high should the actual target be relative to the ground ?

I think a counter balanced target that is visible above the target stand makes sense for sight picture----------clean and un-cluttered

Lower will be least expensive as far as materieals go -----------higher will be less sensitive to background

Dave
07-22-2012, 11:59 PM,
Dave I don't know, but seems a foot above the ground is probably plenty/good compromise. 7/16 sucker rod should hold them well.
What they do for the 22 targets the Forsyth club uses is they find the balance point of the target with a set of vicegrip welding clamps, then drill the hole in that spot. The target then hangs on a hook, and they say those targets show good movement when hit even at extreme long distance.
One thing I have noticed with some targets in places is the "stand" they are mounted on is sort of big and ringy, and many many times a hit will be called that actually didn't hit the target but did contact the target support, so somehting sorta small and not to "ringy" would be preferred.
07-30-2012, 07:46 AM,
Hi Don:

Guess we lost the original poster

attached is the first pdf layout of the stand and the buff

still arguing with myself about the pivot design----------a couple of other ways may work better i'll investigate them when i have a minute

anyway----comments-----feedback----------other design ideas?

Attached Files
.pdf   BUFTARG-Model.pdf (Size: 37.29 KB / Downloads: 55)
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM,
Looks pretty good Dave.