Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Tweaking" a load
06-15-2012, 04:25 PM,
"Tweaking" a load
being new to this sport, I have never tweaked a load, the current load that I am using is giving me a 4 - 4 1/2 inch 10 shot group at 200 yards

.40-65 shiloh
starlinebrass fire formed
cci br2 primer, copypaper wad in base of brass
55 gr 1.5 swiss, 5 second pour, 30 inch drop tube
.03 fiber wad, copypaper wad over fiber wad
P Jones bullet, 422 gr
DGL lube
bullet slip fitted
OAL 2.97
using blow tube

what should my first change in this load be?
"don't piss down my back and tell me its rain", Fletcher, Outlaw Josey Wales
06-15-2012, 05:38 PM,
RE: "Tweaking" a load
Hi Chaneylake:

The most common approach would be powder charge weight variation--------------if that proves successful in some degree then different manufacturer's of powder may be prudent----followed by experimentation with granulation--------------at least that would be my approach.

A bullet runout check as is always wise--------and bullet size can be a factor, if your not having a leading problem i would save bullet diameter variations for later.

Obviously this is just a quick thumbnail but a sensible way to move forward at first

Dave

Ya ain't lost if ya don't care where ya are
06-15-2012, 05:38 PM,
I've shot some pretty good scores with a similar load but always with neck tension.
I anneal my brass after every firing and size to give .0015-.002 of neck tension.
I now shoot the Saeco 740 bullet and seat it to just engage the first driving band.
The Paul Jones bullet should be fine so give the neck tension a try without changing.
Also, I don't think the extra wad is hurting anything but I've shot mine without the over primer wad and the extra top wad without any real performance change.
Steve R.
AZ
06-15-2012, 05:45 PM,
I forgot to add that 55 grains is about the min amount of powder that I can use and get the bullet to engage the rifling.
My Shiloh is an older one with the chamber slightly throated.
I dump the powder through a funnel to get it to stack up enough and then use a compression die to push the wads down to the correct level needed for the bullet to just engage the rifling.
Steve R.
AZ.
06-15-2012, 05:47 PM,
X2 on NT.
I did the slip-fit till I saw how well a little(.001-.002)NT worked.
I have not loaded any .40-65, just .45-70 and .45-90.
I also go against the flow and use 3F Goex for both Wink
Look into annealing also.
Gary
Hav'n you along, is like losing two good men.....
06-15-2012, 06:01 PM,
Sorry, but I keep thinking of more stuff.
You might also give patching between shots a try.
I have always patched this rifle with just one wet patch between shots so if you are blow tubing and the group is going to hell you are fouling out.
Nothing will shoot through a fouled out barrel.
Your basic load is sound as I set some national records with that load and the P/Jones bullet before switching to the Saeco.
I think the Saeco's bc is better than the P/Jones because it requires less elevation all the way to 600 yards over the P/J Creedmoor.
Steve R.
AZ.
06-15-2012, 06:09 PM,
Steve, how much less?
Gary
06-15-2012, 06:25 PM,
2-3 min. average.
All of the Saeco bullets shoot well from the .38 to the .45.
The shape is very similar to a Postell but with a flat.
Also the Saeco molds are the best pouring molds than I own, and I own a bunch!
An cheap too.
Steve R.
AZ.
06-15-2012, 07:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM by chaneylake.)
(06-15-2012, 06:01 PM)bpsteve Wrote: Sorry, but I keep thinking of more stuff.
You might also give patching between shots a try.
I have always patched this rifle with just one wet patch between shots so if you are blow tubing and the group is going to hell you are fouling out.
Nothing will shoot through a fouled out barrel.
Your basic load is sound as I set some national records with that load and the P/Jones bullet before switching to the Saeco.
I think the Saeco's bc is better than the P/Jones because it requires less elevation all the way to 600 yards over the P/J Creedmoor.
Steve R.
AZ.

I will give the patching at try Steve, I just fired the same load again except I used a 0.06 poly wad, first 4 shots measured 0.90 inches at 200 yards then the final 6 opened to just under 5 inches, my first thought was fouling out,

thanks for the info

Cheers

"don't piss down my back and tell me its rain", Fletcher, Outlaw Josey Wales
06-15-2012, 07:02 PM,
Thax for that info Exclamation
FWIW: I have found PJ's moulds to pour the best for me. I use 30:1 alloy.
PJ's also produces the most round bullet I have ever found straight from the mould, .0002" or less.
My PJ C'moor drops at .4585" dia. I just shoot it as cast, pan lubing with DGL.
Gary