Historic Shooting Forums
Ammo does matter - Printable Version

+- Historic Shooting Forums (http://historicshooting.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://historicshooting.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: The rifles (http://historicshooting.com/forum-2.html)
+---- Forum: Rimfire (http://historicshooting.com/forum-13.html)
+---- Thread: Ammo does matter (/thread-2693.html)

Pages: 1 2

Ammo does matter - Don McDowell - 12-12-2018

Top WW T 22 center , Mida's +, Bottom Center x
All shot from 25 yards off a bench
[attachment=1291]

Aquila rifle match top, Federal high velocity match bottom
[attachment=1292]

Federal auto match

[attachment=1293]

RE: Ammo does matter - Kurt - 12-12-2018

The Center X looks like the favorite. Both Feds don't look too bad.
What rifle did you do this with? It would be interesting to see you do this with a different rifle.

I dug out the Chronograph today but I didn't have a 9V battery that was up enough to get out in the cold for a good clock time.
I have several different .22 boxes of ammo I think I might just as well see what the group spread and ES/SD.

I did some looking on U-Tube when I finished giving the man cave a second code of paint looking mainly for tests using match rifles something other then semi loaders and black guns comparing the Norma Match with other quality .22 ammo but I didn't find much with the Norma match but several tests the Norma Tec was used, also some of the new Norma sub sonic showed some good results.
I will give it another try tomorrow if it's fit. Rain is in the forecast but that means a little warmup Smile
I will use the CPA 28" and the Win lowall with a 24" barrel. I don't have any shorter barreled .22's

RE: Ammo does matter - Don McDowell - 12-12-2018

This was with the new lo wall.
Carol's rifle absolutely hates the Laupa stuff, Norma match, and any of the federal or aquila. Does very well with the Remington Eley, Norma tac and t22.
My CPA shoots the Norma match scary good, but this lo wall hates it with a passion.

Should add that the 2 out lyers with the t22 were called.

I need to set down with the Remington Eley on the bench with this new rifle. I shot it at Smithmoor last month and it did very well on the rams. Would be good if both Carol's and my rifle would come up with a brand of ammo that both rifles will shoot well.

I don't know if I still have some Lapua in the ammo can. I know I have a bunch of Mexican and high end Rem/Eley.
I moved the target frame from the 130 yard to the 50 today so I can shoot out of the garage if it rains.
It will be nice to get back behind the buttplate, haven't shot since August and winter boredom is starting to set in. Smile
Also I got a bunch of new .40-65 yesterday that needs to be shot at least once before I get ready for a match.

I'm hoping for some good weather to get out and run the 40-70 a bit, and the Borchardt.

These two targets marked D I shot last week on the top and today on the bottom with the T22 ammunition.

[attachment=1296]

They will reach the ram line in fine shape.

Smile I just pulled my .40-70 out to get at the low wall and thought I should get that safe queen out more often Smile well I just ran a couple patches down the bore and put it back in the safe LOL.

I charged 100 new .40-65 cases tonight with a can of mixed spilled powder and some FA fireworks powder to get the brass blown out for my chamber. If I find time in the morning I might shoot some of those after the .22's

One thing that is fascinating about this 22 ammo. You can have something that will burn bug holes in the pigs, ding an occasional turkey, but couldn't buy a ram with a Visa gold card...
I have shot this t 22 at the ramline and it shoots well, but I want to shoot more of it before I go into a match with it. If I were going to a match tomorrow, I'ld take the Center x if I was really serious about it,,, but I seldom take winning a match that serious. Smile

RE: Ammo does matter - Steve Anderson - 12-13-2018

Nice shooting Don. I have a Browning low wall with a Lilja barrel. Only thing I've shot is Center X, and it's grouping around 1 1/8" at 100. I hope to try some other ammo to see if it likes something else. Hope you make it Saturday.
(12-12-2018, 08:31 PM)Don McDowell Wrote: I'm hoping for some good weather to get out and run the 40-70 a bit, and the Borchardt.

These two targets marked D I shot last week on the top and today on the bottom with the T22 ammunition.