Historic Shooting Forums
Digital scale problems - Printable Version

+- Historic Shooting Forums (http://historicshooting.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://historicshooting.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Reloading (http://historicshooting.com/forum-4.html)
+---- Forum: Blackpowder cartridge (http://historicshooting.com/forum-18.html)
+---- Thread: Digital scale problems (/thread-2667.html)

Pages: 1 2

Digital scale problems - Kevin Alexander - 10-24-2018

I’ve been getting excellent groups with a certain load and then the same load will open up completely shooting on a different day. Weather conditions are exactly the same. I’m thinking my digital scale is the problem. Does fluorescent lighting mess them up?

RE: Digital scale problems - Kurt - 10-24-2018

A digital scale is only as good as the guy with his golden screwdriver adjusted it. Also RFI and heat will throw the time base off as well as air current from the furnace blower.

RE: Digital scale problems - Lumpy Grits - 10-24-2018

Yes-'Flos' put out a lot of RFI.
Find a couple of very strong speaker magnets, and wrap the power supply cord a couple of times around the magnets, about 6-8" from the scale.
Also-Calibrate your scale every time you turn it on.
Turn the scale on at least an hour or so before needing it.
Gary

RE: Digital scale problems - rdnck - 10-25-2018

Get a RCBS 505 and be happy. Just sayin'. Shoot straight, rdnck.

RE: Digital scale problems - Lumpy Grits - 10-25-2018

I was going to suggest getting a PACT scale.
But-After looking at their site. Looks like they have dropped all the PM's and scales. Sad
G.

RE: Digital scale problems - Martini2 - 10-25-2018

(10-24-2018, 07:14 AM)Kevin Alexander Wrote: I’ve been getting excellent groups with a certain load and then the same load will open up completely shooting on a different day. Weather conditions are exactly the same. I’m thinking my digital scale is the problem. Does fluorescent lighting mess them up?

Hi Kevin. First one must ask who is manufacturer of the scale?
Perhaps it is an RCBS 1500 charge master like mine. In the manufacture's instructions it states to not let double base powders reside in scale hopper longer than necessary. The Nitro in powders attacks the Green plastic scale body. Therefore granules of powder will stick or could get mixed with next type powder. Yes older Fluorescent light fixtures may give off EMF that hampers delicate electronics. The new LED shop lights not so much. The magnets trick will not work on DC wires after the plug in transformer, they might disturb delicate electronics inside scale. Having the power outlet properly wired and grounded is required. There are little plug in checkers for that. Last use a bubble level to make sure the scale is indeed level. I don't like the little screw type feet on my Charge-master because they rotate to easily. If the whole scale unit is moved it may start rockin Smile All in all loading with Charge Master Scale has speed up process and increased accurate weights considerably I.E. worth the sweat. M2

RE: Digital scale problems - Fogman01 - 10-26-2018

"Get a RCBS 505 and be happy."
+1
My RCBS powder scale is a 5-10 and is so old I can't find one when I Google it. Still works perfect every time. I am on my second digital bullet weighing scale since July.

RE: Digital scale problems - Eric Johanen - 10-27-2018

I use my RCBS 505 for all my reloading. I do check the scale compared to the digital Dillion to see that they both read the same and use calibrated check weights to make sure everything is reading correctly. My digital is used for bullet weighing as is much faster then the beam scale for this task. After all these years I really cannot do without both.

RE: Digital scale problems - Dan Cash - 10-29-2018

I am using a MyWeigh brand electronic scalesince 2004 or 2005 with complete satisfaction. It can run on battery but I leave it plugged in to 110. It does not seem to need warm up but it lives at a constant 65-71 degrees. As with any scale, breezes will affect the weight readings but for accuracy, it agrees with my Redding and an eldery Herteers balance beam.

I think I paid $120 for the sacle and have not had a moments problem with it and the balance beam rigs are regated to checking the electronic on occasion and ornaments the rest of the time.

RE: Digital scale problems - Old Jim - 11-05-2018

(10-25-2018, 07:29 AM)rdnck Wrote: Get a RCBS 505 and be happy. Just sayin'. Shoot straight, rdnck.

YUP!

Bill ain't wrong Big Grin