Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Crossno liner
03-13-2015, 07:20 AM
RE: Crossno liner
(03-12-2015 10:44 PM)Kurt Wrote:  Just take the extractor out. You don't use it for the .22 anyway.

That was an idea that I had considered. It would make life easy. Thanks for the help Gents

Semper Fidelis
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2015, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 04:56 PM by APDDSN0864.)
I'll second Don's statement! I love mine in my 1874 .45-70!

Ed

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity"
Robert A. Heinlein
03-15-2015, 10:56 AM
That works for me. :-)

Semper Fidelis
06-25-2019, 05:06 AM
(07-01-2013 03:29 AM)parkergunz Wrote:  [img][Image: scan0001.jpg]
[/img]

Don

I got mine a few years ago. This is a group with iron sights out of my Shiloh with Winchester bulk ammo. The bottom group is my Marlin 1895 CB .45-70 Lyman 405 gr cast bullet. Both shot from a rest.

I love your input and thanks for sharing a beautiful description with a pic.
06-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Ironic isn't it? Marlin CB in 45-70 will shoot lights out with almost anything. So will my 45 LC. Same in 38-55 is scary accurate with the right bullet

(06-25-2019 05:06 AM)jacksimonton Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 03:29 AM)parkergunz Wrote:  [img][Image: scan0001.jpg]
[/img]

Don

I got mine a few years ago. This is a group with iron sights out of my Shiloh with Winchester bulk ammo. The bottom group is my Marlin 1895 CB .45-70 Lyman 405 gr cast bullet. Both shot from a rest.

I love your input and thanks for sharing a beautiful description with a pic.
07-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Funny how an old post comes up at the right time...
I talked one of my clients in to a Shiloh this spring - a 45-70 but his wife has him on the austerity program, (Dave Ramsey I think?) anyway he shot a couple of matches with one of my 22's and decided that was almost as much fun as the big guns. He wouldn't do the beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission to buy a little gun so I suggested a Crossno liner. He did go for that and he's really liking it plus it's shooting quite well. In the meantime, I decided to make one for my 44-85. I'm going to use a liner from TJ's and I've been experimenting with the shrink tubing to get the fit right. Everything is coming together nicely but I remember reading some info about the lube when installing the liner, Dave didn't recommend Rem oil or lubes of that nature, does anyone recall what he did recommend? Vaseline? engine assembly? Die Grease? Thanks in advance.
Greg
07-15-2019, 09:41 PM
White lithium grease works well, and that grease they use in a Chevy garage to lubricate electric windows is really slick stuff. I'll dig one of my liners out a bit later and read the suggestion on the instructions.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
07-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Permatex super lube is the first recommendation, but he says any non drying grease. And don't forget to apply it to the barrel and the liner.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
07-16-2019, 10:16 AM
I use Rig Universal Gun Grease.
07-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the input on the grease.
I had a few moments today - I'd finished the liner assembly a couple of evenings ago but haven't had time to try it- I'd mentioned earlier that I planned to use a liner from TJ's but hadn't been able to connect with Mike to get my order in so I used a Redman liner I had in stock. We had about a 12 mph headwind at the range gusting to 20 so the results weren't real conclusive. It didn't seem to have a preference on ammo, with the wind at a 100 yards, off sticks, it all seemed to shoot about 2" - mostly in a vertical string.
I left the liner nearly full length at 32" same as my barrel so I was getting some ribbing that the bullet was already slowing down before it left the barrel Big Grin

I'll post a little more as the experiment continues.
Greg

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)