Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
44/77 Antelope
10-11-2020, 07:09 PM
RE: 44/77 Antelope
I can’t wait for Hunter to pull up on a deer with that rifle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2020, 07:40 PM
It'll be a good day for sure.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
10-12-2020, 09:08 PM
(10-10-2020 06:21 PM)Stephen Borud Wrote:  Hunter and I had a great morning hunting antelope. We snuck up to 53 yards on this 15” buck. He gave me a offhand shot and I took it; he met his fate. This is the first year I casted up a harder bullet for hunting. I’ve always been a fan of pure or 1/60 lead mix, this bullet was casted in 1/20. I noticed right away the exit hole was a lot smaller than when I kill an animal with a softer bullet. Anyways right after I killed this buck a doe came popping over the hill to see what was going with her buddy. She met her fate with a 270 in the hands of Hunter. Good eats await my family.

Good job! Nice antelope as well! I used a .270 for a lot of years on deer. Good to see you using that .44/77 hunting.

Rick
10-12-2020, 11:25 PM
Thanks Rick. I worked some loads up for the 270 this spring and Hunter was the first to shoot it. He sat and whacked a 6” steel target at 305 yards over and over again. In fact I had to damn near beat him up to get that rifle out of his sweaty hands. He was smiling ear to ear and asked if he could kill and antelope this fall with it. Of course I said, do it. So when he cracked that doe he just smiled and said, yep it’s a shooter. The 44/77 has been in my safe for ten years and I really didn’t shoot it much until this year. Of course I instantly fell in love with her when she started to make steel ring. I tweaked my load a little bit and it just shoots good. Gonna take it out after another antelope doe and a couple deer in a few days. Hopefully the hunting Gods will treat me well. Hunter also shot a ton of round through the 76 this summer and I believe he will kill a deer and maybe even an elk with it this year which would be awesome for him and our freezer.