Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ole 97
01-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Ole 97
The thread on Ithacas got me going although I regretfully sold a really nice 16 ga. DR hinted about a 97 thread so here goes.

Some years ago I picked up this 1906 made 97 for the obvious....knockout wood. Its not a trap grade but sure has the makings. In fact not sure I've seen better wood on a 97.

This pic also shows an ole N.R. Davis hammer double and a Natchez bowie I made up with a cold browned blade (I don't know why...was browning a barrel and thought well why not?)

[Image: P1010275-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
RE: Ole 97
Gorgeous wood on that 97. Wonder if it's original to the gun?
01-12-2013, 07:41 PM
(01-12-2013 12:31 PM)Don McDowell Wrote:  Gorgeous wood on that 97. Wonder if it's original to the gun?

Pretty sure it is Don. It mates up tight as a tick all around the wrist and receiver and looks correct on the gun. I think it was a Friday shotgun that an employee ran home with!Big Grin
01-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Sure alot of figure for a Winchester, that's for sure..
01-13-2013, 09:38 AM
That is a set of good looking shotguns. I really appreciate the "Winchester red" oil that they used to finish the stocks with. That is the color oil that I use to finish my Stevens single shot rifles with.

Pictures just don't do the actual color justice.

Can you imagine how that 97 would have looked new ?

Next year or so, I am going to get another Ithaca 16 that needs new wood and get wood from Macon Gunstocks. I have a source that reproduced the oil that Winchester used. Then I will do the stock and foreend, and rust blue at least the barrel, maybe the whole gun, but at least the barrel and standard blue the rest of the parts that are hard to card the rust off of.

But at least a high quality total reblue.

I'll have Macon profile the back of the stock just a little thicker so I can use a checkered buttplate on it, like we do our singleshots.

Winchester used to put the checkered steel buttplates on their shotguns back in the day as an option. I have one, it is a little wider than the ones that came on the model 70's. I also have bought a couple old model 70's ones off eBay. They clean up and the steel they are made of take a rich color bluing.
01-13-2013, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 11:04 AM by Caprock.)
(01-13-2013 09:38 AM)drcook Wrote:  That is a set of good looking shotguns. I really appreciate the "Winchester red" oil that they used to finish the stocks with. That is the color oil that I use to finish my Stevens single shot rifles with.

Pictures just don't do the actual color justice.

Can you imagine how that 97 would have looked new ?

Next year or so, I am going to get another Ithaca 16 that needs new wood and get wood from Macon Gunstocks. I have a source that reproduced the oil that Winchester used. Then I will do the stock and foreend, and rust blue at least the barrel, maybe the whole gun, but at least the barrel and standard blue the rest of the parts that are hard to card the rust off of.

But at least a high quality total reblue.

I'll have Macon profile the back of the stock just a little thicker so I can use a checkered buttplate on it, like we do our singleshots.

Winchester used to put the checkered steel buttplates on their shotguns back in the day as an option. I have one, it is a little wider than the ones that came on the model 70's. I also have bought a couple old model 70's ones off eBay. They clean up and the steel they are made of take a rich color bluing.

Dave, have you tried Tapaderas Winchester oil and what have you been using? Actually, its hard for me to tell the difference in what Winchester, Marlin, and sometimesSavage used back in the early 1900's. All had that red undertone.

This 97 has a lot of varnish missing and could do with a restoration. Yet I'm really hesitant to touch the old girl.
01-13-2013, 11:10 AM
No I haven't. I did go read about it though since you posted about it. That is actually a stain. The stuff I use is the oil itself.

Tapaderas would be good to use under a spar varnish or synthetic (like polyurethane) finish.

You could try dabbing in some spar varnish with a small point brush into the chippies and work to blend it in. I know that Ithaca used spar varnish back in the day, possibly Winchester also did.

You would need to match the finish, gloss, semi-gloss or matte. Then after dabbing it in and letting it dry (build up the missing areas slowly) you could sand it with 1000 or 1500 grit automotive wet or dry. That is really fine paper and then possibly some 0000 steel wool. Just be easy on it as you don't want to thin out or "flat out" the old finish, just blend in the repair areas.
01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Well, this one might requiire a tad more Dave. It has no finish left at the wrist and other high wear areas. Is the oil you use similar to what Pilkington sells?

Something quite different that I and a couple friends have started using to hand rub finishes on ML rifles is Arrow that is marketed by Miracle Products. It has to be rubbed in but it is durable and will even go over the top of existing finishes. My 1991 Shiloh was pretty fuzzy from the factory so I started in with Arrow right over the top. About 3 coats later I had a pleasingly warm finish I could live with. It doesn't "build up" and won't stick to metal either.
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
I traded my 97 for a mod 12. Skinned my thumb knuckle once to often Smile

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.