Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
loading dies
07-17-2020, 07:26 AM
loading dies
I have a question on loading dies for the 44-77/43 Mauser. Don't hate me too much for this but I just picked up a set of 43 Mauser RCBS dies, dated 69 for $75. I think the expander plug in the die is about .437. To me that is just a bit too small. What size would the general consensus be for me to either make or order from RCBS, providing they still offer them in custom sizes.
Sam.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2020, 07:40 AM
RE: loading dies
Sam.
My CH-4D .44-77 is at the bottom ball .443" and at the flair it starts at .432 and flairs out to .450". It has a ball type point entering the case mouth. The .44-90 bn the ball is .443" and the flair starts at .432" and flairs out to.460"

Kurt

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
07-17-2020, 10:37 AM
You want the expander to be around .001 or .002 above the bullet diameter you're planning to use to allow for spring back of the brass. Buffalo Arms has custom expander plugs, might be worth a call to tell them what you want.
Also if you're just shooting greasers, the Lee 43 mauser die works just right for the 4477. With your RCBS expander die you could then use it as a compression die.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
07-17-2020, 11:33 AM
Don,
Personally I would not want to expand the case mouth larger then the bullet diameter. .002" larger then the bullet diameter is about what the unfired neck would be before sizing. If I was going to load GG bullets I would want the neck holding some friction.
Both of my .44 dies are the same.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
07-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Kurt all I can tell you is what has worked for me.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
07-17-2020, 05:47 PM
I am using a .439 expander in a Lee expander die for the 43 Spanish with gg. Works for my rifle.

Cheers,
Steve
07-17-2020, 06:03 PM
The .44-77 and the .43 Spanish are not quite the same animal. Two different bullet diameters, .446 and I believe .439 though I don't own a Spanish.

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder

"Let us stand our ground. If we die, let us die here." Reverend William Emerson April 19, 1775
07-18-2020, 01:47 PM
It is noted (in COW) that the bullet diameters are
listed as follows. Hope this helps your picking out expanding dies,etc.
44/77 Sharps/Rem 0.446
11.15mm(43) Mauser 0.446
11.15mm(43)Spanish Rem 0.439
beltfed/arnie
07-18-2020, 02:44 PM
I am pretty sure that the guy got the dies from was not the original owner. They do look brand new not even any rust on the knurls like most used dies have. I do kind of wonder if maybe they had been used to load some Spanish rounds or it just could be that the tight expander kind of went along with the limited knowledge of some things way back then. With the expander that small, I do kind of wonder just how much the FL die will size the neck area.
I don't really plan on using these dies all that much but do see an advantage to having them and I know I can always get my money back out of them. I may just keep the expander that is with the dies and use it to just put a bit of a flair on the case mouth and thats all.
I also appreciate all the info you all have provided.
Sam
07-19-2020, 10:34 AM
I am wondering if the previous owner of those dies had that smaller expander die made as maybe he was loading a 43 spanish?
The Lee die for the 43 Mauser is a two die set so the expander is built into the size die much like 308 etc. What I found with those if you pull the expander/decapping stem they size the necks just right for patched bullets, leave it in if loading greasers. then it's just a matter of using a compression die to seat the wad. The shell holder with those are just right for the Jamison 44-77 cases as well