Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The .44-77 Shiloh Farmer
07-09-2020, 04:36 PM
The .44-77 Shiloh Farmer
I was disappointed with the shotgun pattern I shot the other day so I tightened all the screws, scope and rifle and loaded some 3 shot ladder loads again to see if things changed from the last time out. I set up again at 180 yards to put the target out in the sun so I can see it better with the light on the target face and it really helped seeing through the floaters the scope really amplifies in low light.
All loads we're using 2F OE starting at 77 grains and ending with 82 grains one grain increases. I wanted to see what the difference is between two bulls with the same load was with one a few thousands longer.
I used two bullets, one cast with a Sagebrush mould and the other with the BA the Jim 430/525. both bullets have almost an identical profile but the BA bullet is a little longer but I had the BA bullet patched at .436" I did not have the proper paper for it and the Sage at .438"
The BA bullet is marked wrong at .330/525 it should be .430/525.
Todays results really show that the rifle favored the longer bullet at this range I shot today and both loads at 80 gr seems like the load it shoots well.
I did not make any sight changes. I tightened the tension screw on the turret knobs so they had no chance moving pulling the scope back.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2020, 05:03 PM
RE: The .44-77 Shiloh Farmer
NICE,Kurt,
Looks like you are on the path with the Farmer and that longer bullet.
Looks to me you have a Sweet range of 80 to 82 gr, Middle at 81 should be real good.
Time for a repeat of the 80,81,82 with that bullet.
Great. Should do a good number up here on the 25th.
Arnie
07-09-2020, 05:38 PM
Distance will be the end of the story Arnie. But your right, I will; get a 10 shot average with the three loads in a few days. Just to darned hot and I can't shoot early in the morning because of the shadows and 9:30 AM noise limits. 94 degrees out with the high humidity I get soaked just sitting behind the rifle.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
07-09-2020, 05:52 PM
Kurt,

What size are the target dots?

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder

"Let us stand our ground. If we die, let us die here." Reverend William Emerson April 19, 1775
07-09-2020, 06:01 PM
1-1/2" Jim

07-09-2020, 07:51 PM
Those 80-82 gr loads look like under MOA .Good///////1
Arnie
07-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Yes, but if you look at all of the groups there is a pattern of loosing a shot that drifts out of the group.
I get two almost cutting each other and this is not consecutive. This tells me that I don't quite have the case prep right yet or I'm loosing it with my wad stack not being right yet or something else no right. The verticals showing has my concern.
Also I have found wads too far down range that makes me thing the wad over the lube is leaking and the lube is getting between it and the bullet base.
I might have to go back putting a 1/16" high dense cork back under the bullet base and soften the alloy a smidge because the damping effect the soft wad has holding obturation down. but cork is very effective sealing the gas when the pressure hits it.