Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reade PA match is back
07-09-2020, 11:42 AM
Reade PA match is back
Join in for the only 1000yd BPTR match in the east. Reade Range is an excellent venue and we are hoping for a good turn-out in order to work back up to a 2-day match and then a couple of matches a year, which we had at one time. Good attendance = more shooting in the future. While listed as a 30-shot match, we might be able to make this a 45-shot match as we have done in the past.

2020 NRA Registered Paper Target Match for Black Powder Cartridge Rifle
Location: Reade Range, 787 Wippers Rd, Fallentimber, PA 16639
Date: Saturday, August 8th
Time: Registration 7:30-9:00 AM
Mandatory shoot's meeting 8:45 AM
Match starts at 9:00 AM
Fees: Entry Fee $30.00 (includes NRA Registration Fee)
Rules: All current NRA black powder target rifle rules apply.
Eligibility: Open to all up to range capacity of 100 shooters, 4 relays, initially 1 shooting, 2 scoring, 3 and 4 pit duty. Typically there are 2 man teams, scoring is done in the pits and targets are alternated (an empty target on each side of you). Bring your 2 way radios if you have them, you
are allowed contact with your target puller/scorer during the match.
Course of fire: 30 Shot Creedmoor Course. Unlimited sighting shots and 10 shots for record in 30 minutes, any position at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Target used is LR target.
Equipment: Any black powder cartridge rifle shall not weigh more than 15 lbs.
Period metallic sight or period scope with Malcom style mounts. No click adjustments in the mount. Shoot er may use ground cloth and spotting
scope. A cotton shooting jacket may be used.
Appropriate Muzzle loading target rifles are welcome and will be granted an extra 10 minutes for each record string (Rule 8.4(b)).
Ammunition: Lead alloy bullets, no gas checks. Black powder or Pyrodex may be used.
No duplex loads, no smokeless powder. Ammunition must meet power fact or:
40 Cal. - 400 Gr. bullets @ 1280 FPS
44 Cal. - 430 Gr. bullets @ 1240 FPS
45 Cal. - 450 Gr. bullets @ 1220 FPS or 500 Gr. bullets @ 1200 FPS ‚Äč
Awards: 40% cash Payback
Facilities: Job Johnny restrooms (2), no food or water. Primitive trailer sites & camping is available at the range.
Safety: All persons on the firing line are urged to wear eye and ear protection.
Open block indicators are mandatory. No alcoholic beverages permitted.
Practice: Friday August 7th . Start at 10:00 AM.
Match Director: Chris Dunphy
570-664-3866 Cell (before 8 PM Please)
HipsAxe@aol.com
Directions and accommodations see Reade Range web site:
http://www.readerange.org/

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2020, 06:53 PM
RE: Reade PA match is back
I do hope they get a good turn out for this match. I am going to try to stop over and take in a bit of the match. Reade is a nice range and it has a very nice pit area. Usually some air moving and mostly from right to left. In the past it has been a very busy range with lots of events going on. I have not kept up on the goings on of late. But am happy to see that they are putting in the effort to have some matches there.
Not the easiest range to find and not a lot of close places to stay but then how many 1000 yard ranges are close to populated areas with nice hotels.
For me, its less than an hours drive, about the same distance as it is for me to go to Ridgway. Yea I know some of you are thinking it sucks to be me. LOL
Maybe not this year but I would hope that some will look into making a trip to this range if they have the match next year. If you can come this year please do. Anything that helps promote the sport is a good thing and PA isn't all that bad of a place to visit.
Sam
07-09-2020, 09:42 PM
I think it's great they are trying to have BPTR matches there again. I hope they get enough turn out to keep on having them.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
07-09-2020, 11:07 PM
Great news! When we move, I will be able to shoot at this match next time.
07-10-2020, 12:13 AM
Carol and I decided you can't move....

08-09-2020, 12:00 PM
I stopped in at the Reade match yesterday for a quick visit. I was on a bit of a tight schedule so I couldn't stay long. From the looks of things there was 12 competitors. When I was there they were shooting from the 900 yard line. The day started out overcast and a bit foggy. By noon it had cleared up and became sunny. The winds were switchy, blowing right to left at the target line and into your face at the firing line. Normal winds at Reade are right to left for the most part. I did see license plates from Ohio and VA. Hopefully more information will be posted soon as well as the scores. I did see some good hits on the targets with spotters in the 10 ring area but also some out in no mans land. Rifles were Sharps, Highwalls, one rolling block and maybe a ballard but not sure on the ballard.
I did snap a few shots and will edit and post them later on.
Sam
08-09-2020, 11:13 PM
Good deal Sam. Sure hope that match will return and gather lots of shooters.