Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Found some range time
06-30-2020, 07:48 PM
Found some range time
I thought I better get busy and start working on my 1877 Axtell .45-2.6 rifle so I don't get my hinder whooped to bad at next years matches if this Red Chinese bug dies out and I can get out of here again. The Gypsy wagon is still winterized and most likely stay that way this summer.

I'm getting tired working on the place and the temp is up there in the 90's just to hot for me to do some work outside.
I want to spent time with this rifle and little Missy the .40-65 CPA to get them ready for the iron critters and the long range matches at Harris and out in Montana and Alliance maybe later on this fall. I just haven't had time shooting either of these rifles since I got them.

I threw 50 rounds together with left over bullets I use in the .45-90 and stuffed 92 gr of 2F OE in the case and headed to the range. I put a 200 yard target up and took a few shots at some clay birds laying on the berm that were not shot to warm up the barrel and get a 200 yard sight setting. The last time I shot this rifle was at Harris MN. at their long range shoot.
I put two rounds down range and they hit @ 6-Oclock below the 3" X ring. I thought that will work and raised it 1 MOA and put 10 more rounds on the paper.
With just throwing a load together I think this rifle is going to work just fine with a little load development.

I took little Missy the .40-65 along but the heat and high humidity soaked my shirt and I packed up with out pulling it out and went home.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2020, 09:15 PM
RE: Found some range time
Kurt get that 2.5 up and running good, the flier for Phoenix should be coming out soon. Looks to be 8 maybe 9 days of shooting. 2 days silhouette, then midrange,creedmoor, and 1000 yard, with maybe the last day a 22 creedmoor match.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
06-30-2020, 11:05 PM
Don,
I don't think it will take much to get the best from this rifle from what it shot today for just throwing a load together even with that undersized bullet with thick paper to bring it up to bore diameter.
When I see 10 rounds in a nice round group that would have fit in that 3" X ring @ 200 I think it would be me letting the rifle down.

I heard the Phoenix shoot was a good one but I don't think I can stand the heat they have down there.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
06-30-2020, 11:40 PM
In March it's just plain comfortable, cool nights and warm days. Nice to get out of the snow banks.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
07-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Well I might still be there in March. I plan on spending time at the Lost Dutchmans mining claim at Stanton over the winter again, it's about 45 minutes from Avery.

07-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Sounds like a good plan.
Looks like the plan is to have target pullers for at least part of the match. You'll likely need to bring close to 500 rounds to participate in the entire thing. The option will be there to shoot just part of it as well.

07-01-2020, 10:13 AM
I never leave with the Gypsy Wagon with less than 1800-2000 Smile