Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Development of PP loads for the .44-77.
Yesterday, 08:44 PM
RE: Development of PP loads for the .44-77.
Jim they do offer that .429 520 that would be a good candidate for turning into a dual diameter bullet.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yesterday, 09:08 PM
On another note, I finished fireforming my BACO cases today and they are drying now.

I will begin actual load development later this week using the only pp mold I have, the BACO adjustable mold. The lead pot is heating up now and I'll cast some at 1.425" long and 520 grains.

I already have a bunch cast and patched at 1.260" long and 450 grains. I'm thinking these would make a good silhouette bullet if it shoots. I may start with these.

Most likely I'll start with Swiss 1 1/2 and Federal 210 primers. I don't see spending much time on anything other than .060" LDPE wads, although I do have several other materials I may try. I just always seem to end up with the .060" LDPE wads being the best over time.

From my notes on powder compacity of BACO cases I'll probably start around 82 grains of 1 1/2. That should be minimal compression with the bullet seated to a maximum depth.

This whole idea of seating depth is going to be interesting with this bottleneck case. I've never seated my paper patch bullets deeper than .150" and for the most part best accuracy was found at much less than that. We'll see how it all plays out here.

Another thing is the compression. I read that if you compress these bottlenecks it doesn't really compress in the body of the cases anymore than the neck diameter all the way to the primer.

I pulled the bullets from 15 cases today and dumped the powder out so I could remove the Remington primer that did not work. These had only about .060" compression and they were very evenly compressed throughout the entire powder column and it was not hard to get out.

Just more to learn with this very interesting cartridge. I like it!

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder

If you can read this we still have freedom of speech, protect it!
Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Don,

Yes and that is the one I would use to convert to a 2-D bullet. I could bore the .429 diameter to suit my needs and also the base diameter would be added to the size for my cases/chamber. At 520 grains that would make an excellent long range bullet.

If I run into a snag with an elliptical design that is probably the bullet I will go with. My fear is that with things the way they tend to go for me if I wait too long to get a 2-D bullet mold made I'll run out of time to get it and develop a load for Lodi. So in about two weeks a decision will be made. I'd probably go with that one because I know it will work and I should be able to get one easy enough.

The guy from BACO did something about an 8 week wait on molds! I hope that isn't true.

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder

Yesterday, 10:05 PM
They are really backed up on the moulds, but I suspect will get caught up in decent time.

On that nose shape of the 434470 and that 427 thing, Klaus on Sunday shot a greaser bullet in his 45-90 that is a mirror image to my patched loads, in those tricky winds we shot in it sure proved it's ability.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Yesterday, 10:09 PM
I have that mould I use for the 19 twist .44-90bn It shoots fine in that rifle and the Farmer.
The .429 diameter is a little small but works fine with 1/20. I just pulled it out today thinking of clamping it to the mill table and cutting a DD and shortening it to 1.440"
Jim you're welcome to use it before I work on it. I can bring it to Rapids.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Yesterday, 11:24 PM
Kurt,

I could get some cast up and tested and get it back to you at the August match at Rapids if you're going to that one. If it shoots well I'll just order one ASAP and convert it to 2-D when I get it. It should shoot even better then. I would likely have mine in time for Lodi then. I would think a 2-D version would shoot with the same load as the straight sided version or at least close to the same load.

So yes, if you'll let me cast some with it I'll pick it up at Rapids. Thanks!

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder

Yesterday, 11:27 PM
JIMMMMMM!!!!
I just checked BACO, YOUR BULLET WITH DRAWING IS IN THE CATALOG ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!
JIM #441525EPP
I expect you may be getting it Sooner than Later.
That has happened with several of the DDEPP bullets that BACO accepted
and cut SOON.
Arnie
Yesterday, 11:52 PM
I just loaded up some .44-77 to test first chance I get.

520 grain BACO 431ADJ 1.425" OAL
.060 LDPE wad
80.0 Swiss 1 1/2 #040313
BACO brass (from .50-110)
Federal 210 LR
3.530" COAL

The bullets are seated in the case .160". I was little surprised 80 grains filled the case that high, but I believe that will work out well if I can get 82 to 85 grains to shoot well. That should give me 1300+ a few fps and that's a good place to be for Creedmoor.

Now to see how these shoot.

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder

Yesterday, 11:56 PM
That's pretty impressive that BACO got that listed so quickly, I just sent them that drawing and a request to consider listing the design at 4:03 this afternoon!
I'll place an order tomorrow morning.

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder