Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nothing to do
04-16-2020, 11:01 PM
Nothing to do
Smile When Sam posted his new addition a 52 S&W master sparked me into pulling mine out of the safe where it has been since the 80's maybe early 90's. It was always my favorite for the hand gun bulls eye matches.
Well I have two 5 gallon buckets full of .38 SPL brass I collected when the prison guards trained at our range and they gave there once fired cases. Well I filled two coffee cans and started depriming them and put them in my Frankfort Arsenal tumbler one can at a time with SST pins and one lump of Cascade Carol uses in the dishwasher and let it run for a spell. There must be between 1000 and 2000 cases in that heaping coffee can and to my surprise they came out looking better than new, inside and out.

Now Sam it's all your fault, time to cast .38 wadcutters and dirty up those nice clean bright cases. Tongue

But I don't think I will load a 1/2 five gallon bucket of .38 SPL cases. Wink

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2020, 11:10 PM
RE: Nothing to do
Looks like a good fun project

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
04-16-2020, 11:15 PM
I might load some up tomorrow. Spos to get 3-4" of snow over night and in the morning so it's a good time to do some casting.
I mowed the yard last Tuesday and a driving snow started to fall were I could hardly see the neighbors house 200 yards off and the green grass was white before I got to the shed.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
04-16-2020, 11:39 PM
Wow!! Never seen cases any better than that!? ?
04-17-2020, 08:09 AM
I got a FA tumbler with the SS pins for Christmas and have cleaned some very dirty 45-70 brass and it is amazing. I can’t see no other way to get brass that clean.
04-17-2020, 08:42 AM
We got 10" of snow this past Monday, mowing the yard has been a bit difficult this week! Confused We don't put our snowblowers away until June up here! The plow is still on my truck!

This morning is the warmest this week at 20 degrees! Huh

With this Covid-19 panic sh!t going on we are not allowed to buy and flowers or garden seeds to plant, which ain't a problem until after Memorial Day when it will be less likely to have a hard frost. Huh

Somewhere around June 1st we will switch from winter longjohns to summer longjohns! Sad

Ahhhh! The Northwoods! Cool

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
04-17-2020, 10:27 AM
I just drop one of these in the tumbler and fill it with water about 3/4 full it gets the brass looking like new.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cascade-Compl.../158938412
When the tumbler quits I dump it in a classifier with a I think 75 mesh screen sitting in a 5 gallon bucket and let it drain out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQPHUNO/ref...th=1&psc=1
This holds the pins and I use one of these black sand magnets to separate the pins from the cases. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Big-Orange-Ma...4d0f2c9835

Purdy down here to Jim.
Wet snow hanging on the trees breaking the white pine limbs. got a bunch over night and still coming down.

04-17-2020, 01:37 PM
Hopefully your not casting with a single cavity mold, that just takes forever to drop out a bunch of anything, other than those big rifle bullets. And if you have to set and load all that brass on a single station press I do feel for you. I know its a labor of love but a man can only stand so much love.
I set my Dillon up to load the 38's on. Since it hadn't been used much over the past number of years a bit of sticky oil and a little corrosion had to be worked out but its so nice to be able to crank out a box of ammo in a half hour or less at a slow pace.
Sam
04-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Sam I had a Lyman 4 cavity wad cutter mould for the .38 but I needed a core mould for swaging bullets so I made a core mould out of it because I didn't shoot the 38 plus I still have coffee can halve full of them. I might have Tom cut me a new mould.

04-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Kind of sucks to do that to a perfictly good mold but I understand that at the time it seemed the thing to do.
I am like you if I were to get a new mold, Tom is the first choice and his prices are in line with the big mold makers like Lyman and RCBS. And I am guessing that his delivery time might be a bit better than trying to get one from Midway as they are running about 9 days on getting things out the door. As bad as the virus is, it has been a real boom to some businesses. I have a friend in NH, that told me that in a 9 day period back in March, when the emergency was announced, a shop he works part time in sold 2.4 MILLION rounds of 9mm ammo. How the shop got their hands on that much ammo I don't want to know but it makes you wonder about a lot of things. Even more so when the Left Coast Libtards go balistic because all the laws they wanted are being enforced and they cant' get their hands on guns for the required 10 day wait. Sure as hell sucks to be them.
Sam