Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
.44-77 PP bullets.
03-31-2020, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 08:09 PM by Distant Thunder.)
.44-77 PP bullets.
I'm still holding out hope that some time later this year I will get a call and the rifle I sent to Shiloh last year to be rebarreled to .44-77 will be nearing completion, but with Covid-19 plague it probably won't be soon.

So just sitting around at home I do a lot of thinking about what design of bullets would be good for a .44-77.

I sat down today at the computer and started designing 3 paper patch bullets. None of these are new, they are designs that are in use every day. I guess I'm just trying to see what they would look like in .44 caliber.

I will probably end up making or having made a mold for each of these three designs. I think they all are good designs and I'd like to see how each performs.

Top to bottom, Prolate, original Sharps long-range and something close to a Medford design. These are 3-D computer models.

All are about 1.430" to 1.450" long, it just depends on how they were drawn up and they should run well out of my 17-twist Krieger barrel.

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2020, 08:40 PM
RE: .44-77 PP bullets.
I like the looks of the prolate. Hoping to have a military rolling block built to be exactly like Major Henry Fultons Creedmoor No.1 LRTR. It will be a 44 caliber.
03-31-2020, 08:54 PM
Kevin,

I don't have the details of the prolate handy, but I kept the ogive length shorter than some I've seen and I think that will improve on a some of the things I don't like about other prolates I've tried. In fact the ogives on all three of those are similar in length and the weights should not be too much different.

I hope to use the .44-77 to continue my search for the best all around long range bullet.

What .44 cartridge will that roller be?

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
03-31-2020, 09:07 PM
Jim I'll try to get you a decent picture of the 434470 bullet my 44-90 st in the 17 twist green mountain barrel likes so well. In your fast twist 44-77 it should work very good. It works pretty well in the Shiloh 19 twist out to 800, but is just a touch long for that twist.
The bullet as cast doesn't look quite like it does on BACO's web page.
I was hoping to bring that rifle to Lodi, but the way things are looking not sure Lodi is going to be in the cards this spring.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-31-2020, 09:13 PM
(03-31-2020 08:54 PM)Distant Thunder Wrote:  Kevin,

I don't have the details of the prolate handy, but I kept the ogive length shorter than some I've seen and I think that will improve on a some of the things I don't like about other prolates I've tried. In fact the ogives on all three of those are similar in length and the weights should not be too much different.

I hope to use the .44-77 to continue my search for the best all around long range bullet.

What .44 cartridge will that roller be?

Fultons rifle was a .44-90 Remington Special with the 2 1/4” BN case. That’s the same brass as the .44-77 Remington. It’s gonna be that or a .44-90 Remington straight, just because I love the straight wall cartridges.
03-31-2020, 10:39 PM
That middle diagram looks pretty close to what I'm hoping I'll see from Rick at Kal. Two diameter of course. The only obvious difference that I can see between his Sharps profile and the Gibbs profile..is the Gibbs profile appears to commence its tapered ogive closer to the nose than does the Sharps. Certainly looking forward to seeing and using the mould although I feel this pandemic we're all dealing with ..if not stopping a lot of production is certainly slowing things up considerably. Uncertainty certainly doesn't assist productivity. I'd heard that the 2 1/4" case was in attendance at the early Creedmoor shoots but it may have been in a Remington ..as I gather most of the Sharps were on the 2 5/8" case ?. I fear I'm destined with a lot of others to become a keyboard marksman this season.. although I did manage a few shots with my sons 40 x 2 1/2" the other day. Have to take what you can get....when you can get it. Our ranges virtually all closed now...and what aren't closed... the powers that be are asking that shooters don't attend. Restrictions on vehicle movements now... and some suggestion of closing down firearms dealerships in some states. Prayers and wishes to all that we get through this with minimal losses and sooner rather than later.

J.B.

" Don't know where I'm going but there's no sense being late " !
03-31-2020, 10:52 PM
JB, I think it's in Seller's book, he says that Sharps did chamber a small batch of rifles in the 2.4 straight, right about the time of the reorganization and move to Bridgeport. Apparently the powers that be wanted to distance themselves from Remington and went chasing off after the 45's in various lengths.
Eddie uses a KAL tapered gibbs to good affect in his 45-90

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
04-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Is there an end needing new moulds Big Grin I would be ashamed to post a picture of my collection. I will admit I'm a mouldaholic.
With those 4, #1 and #2 but shoot 3&4 using the .1/16, 1/17 and 1/19 twist .44-77, .44-75, .44-90bn and the .44-100 REM St.
All four bullets shoot very good with mild winds, but #1 is more reliable than 2,3 and 4 in any condition.

These 4 range in weight from 485 gr to 511 gr.
Bullet #1, 511 gr shot this last 5 shot [/size]group I shot a couple days ago using the old .44-77 Shiloh Farmer. Yes it was only 136 yards but it does fine at extended ranges.

But my all time favorite is this sharps copy at 485 to 500 grains. It works in all twists.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
04-02-2020, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2020 08:28 AM by Distant Thunder.)
Kurt,

Need more details on bullet #1. Who makes the mold and what is the mold number?

I don't have a problem buying new molds, I can stop anytime I want to. The problem I seem to have is that I don't want to stop and there is always one more I want need.

I have recently decided to sell some molds (grease groove) that I don't use anymore to make room for the new ones I need. I just don't see a problem.

For some reason my wife is laughing at me while I tell her what I'm posting! Apparently she disagrees. Women!

Oh, and that loaded cartridge is the coolest looking I've ever seem! I'll need a mold to cast that bullet too! See, no problem here!

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
04-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Jim,

That bullet is swaged using the RCE swage tools. There are some in the bunch I sent you. That bullet is a very close copy to the Gibbs. I have a KAL adjustable mould I got here from Don that is a tapered Gibbs that is very close to the swaged but it's tapered and it does not drop a good bullet with a lot of base flashing and vent hairs so I use it for a core mould for the swage die.
Bullet #2 is also very good and the mould came from Harlan Sage mould, so I don't think it's available anymore.

That 5 shot group was shot using the 10X MVA scope and shot of the bench and it was sandbagged.
Smile if that outlander would have stayed in the group that might have made .511". I wonder just how much it would have opened in another 70 yards but that is the best looking group I have ever shot. Heck even my 700 Rem .308 would get nervous.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.