Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Big .50 on order!
06-28-2020, 02:16 PM
RE: Big .50 on order!
I wonder how close that is to my S&W 500 magnum pistol??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2020, 04:08 PM
Pacecars, My "Big Fifty" is a C. Sharps #2 heavy barrel with a 1x26 twist and gives very good accuracy with 565 Accurate Molds bullet and 625 grain BACO Creedmoor bullet. 3fg might be too much of a good thing as far as felt recoil goes. It shot very well with old Dupont 1 fg but that's extinct now. I have been working with 1 fg Swiss and 1 fg OE. So far the loads shoot very accurate and recoil is very tolerable. Swiss is good but the fouling is more and harder than the OE. It might be a consideration to go with the 1x36twist and use bullets of 500 to 550 grains in weight. Plenty of load and much easier on the shoulder. Heavier bullets so have considerable more torque than the lighter bullets. Enjoy your new "Big Fifty"!
06-28-2020, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2020 04:33 PM by Kurt.)
I Shoot the Shiloh 1/22 twist using a 720 gr creedmoor nosed bullet with 110-118 gr of 2f. The last was loaded with KIK. But the .50 will shoot 1-3F very well. But you will find at a match when your shoulder to shoulder sitting on the ground you will hear your neighbor growl when it's over Big Grin

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
06-28-2020, 07:12 PM
I'd have to agree with that Kurt. Not that the 50 gets shot as much now.. but whenever its out on the line I notice I've got plenty of 'social distancing' happening without twisting anyones arm. I'd second the call regarding the torque when using the longer heavier bullets also. It was to the point for me at least that I had a local guy fit a wooden pistol grip in English walnut.. ( it is a Saddle rifle ) to aid in controlling the fire stick. It made a huge difference for me. This was loading bullets of 650 to 700 grains though. As much as I love shooting it.. were I to do it again, I personally would opt for the 1/36" twist and stick with bullets up to about 550 grns at most. That was plenty enough back in the day when the bullet went to the right spot. Both the 50's I've had were very forgiving of loads and showed promise from the first shot.

Gavin.

" Don't know where I'm going but there's no sense being late " !
06-30-2020, 11:00 AM
Pacecars,
Have you heard any update on your "Big 50" order?
06-30-2020, 11:29 AM
Looks like end of July with their brief forced hiatus
06-30-2020, 11:30 AM
Yes, but Gavin they shoot and just feel to good not to use it TongueBig Grin

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
06-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Absolutely Kurt. No argument from me on that score. Its actually high time mine made another range appearance now you mention it but my next outing will be with the 44 to try out my new mould. I'm hoping I can get a chance on paper first before chasing steel plates as it will tell me more. No problems hearing the plates when I use the 50 though Big Grin
J.B.

" Don't know where I'm going but there's no sense being late " !
06-30-2020, 07:21 PM
I guess I’m in the same boat. I ordered from Bill about the same week. I do have my ammo all ready to go.