Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New trick?
02-08-2020, 03:42 PM
New trick?
Working on getting the bullet supply built back up after loading for Phoenix. I 've always been sort of puzzled as to why the first few bullets cast and dropped into the box seem to come out light. Sort of aggravating to have to cull out perfectly good bullets because they're beyond the tolerance weight.
So today when the Mag 25 came to temp, I grabbed the thermometer and just touched about the first inch in the top of the melt, sure nuff, it was a bit under what I like to run my alloy at. So waited a couple of more minutes and with the temp up , I cast 1 bullet from each mould, yup close but no bananas . To end this diatribe what I found was after the 3rd cast from each mould the bullets were well with in my sort range...
Think I'll keep on doing this with the thermometer, and just cast 3 put those in the sprue can , then start keeping this shiny looking buggers.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2020, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2020 06:28 PM by Old Jim.)
RE: New trick?
Yup!
And some times its not just the pot that's cool, the mold needs a few droped thru it befor they're about the same. I lay the cast bullets in a line on an old towel and weigh them when I add more alloy to the pot. After I add the sprues and new alloy, theres almost always a few new-cast that don't make the grade.

Old guys got old habitsWink!

Jim

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
02-08-2020, 06:34 PM
I drop the sprue and reject bullets into a gallon can, then when I get thru with a casting session I put them back in the pot and when they melt I put another ingot or two in to fill the pot. Then shut the pot off when it's all melted. Then the next time I go out while the pot is melting and the blocks are heating I weigh the bullets from the previous session, tossing any weight rejects into the sprue can , and start filling it up all over again..

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
02-08-2020, 08:39 PM
I cast between 725 and 750. I don't keep a bullet till it takes a 3 count for the sprue to gray.
From that point I seldom get a bullet outside 5/10 grain from light to heavy. I have antimony in my mix so maybe this makes a difference???

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
02-08-2020, 10:29 PM
I cast at 775.

02-10-2020, 09:34 PM
Stir the melt before you pour.
Gary

Hav'n you along, is like losing two good men.....