Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
direction of paper , cutting and patching
01-08-2020, 07:18 PM
direction of paper , cutting and patching
Just getting started here, have read about cutting the paper in a certain direction ?? With or against the grain, how to tell and does it make a difference . I know they say with shallow rifling wrap opposite the rifling , with modern deeper rifling does it make a difference ? Thanks for any help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2020, 08:44 PM
RE: direction of paper , cutting and patching
I don't think it makes any difference. Best to wrap the bullets in the direction you can get the best wrap with.
I prefer wet wrapping to get the best and most consistent fit on the bullet.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
01-08-2020, 08:50 PM
I have never been able to tell the difference in how the paper is cut, or the direction it is wrapped. I fooled with that for about a year, and quit worrying about it. Shoot straight, rdnck.
01-08-2020, 11:28 PM
Cutting the patches with or against the grain I only see a difference if it is wet patched with them cut against the grain, they stretch some patched wet.
I have rifles with shallow .003" grooves, .004" and a mistake barrel that has .0067" deep and the direction the wrap is on the bullet makes no difference. Don't let them tell you the patch will unwind if it's wrapped tin the wrong direction LOL, it will not happen.........

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.