Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
use of sizing die after patching
01-01-2020, 07:47 PM
use of sizing die after patching
This all new to me . I was wondering about pp to 45 bore. A .444 bullet with BA paper , would measure out at .451 or so. I see people running the patched bullet thru a sizer ?? Would this work with a 450 sizing die ?? or should I start with some thing else ?? Appreciate all the help I can get . Will be using a Browning 1885 BPCR 45-70
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2020, 10:00 PM
RE: use of sizing die after patching
I don't size the bullet after it's patched.
I think you'll find a .446 bullet wrapped in 8lb paper to maybe work better than the .444.
I resize the 45 brass and use a tapered expander .450-.453 then charge the case and compress the powder, then seat the bullet with my thumb.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
01-02-2020, 01:05 AM
The paper patch is supposed to fall off after it leaves the barrel, sizeing may hinder that. Best to get the right bullet and patch combo to fit your barrel without sizing.
01-02-2020, 11:24 AM
I have bullets that are larger then .444" and even with .0018" thick paper that makes the patched bullet .551+ a smidge and that takes a hard push with the thumb to get it seated. With the OE and Swiss powder I been using less to none compression and I find that tight push into the throat compresses the powder more and I find vertical also increases because of the uneven compression.
I been running them through a custom Lee push through die I ordered at .499" but it came at .4994" close enough Smile also I have one for my .40-65 that I have to use because of the tight bore it has and that rifle shoots MOA +- with patched bullets I run through the die with no problems with accuracy.
This also makes the underlap of the bullet nice and flat.
Try some running them through your sizing die and see how you get along. I would just as soon not reduce the diameter more than .003" myself.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
01-02-2020, 01:13 PM
I have been looking for .446 pp bullets with no avail, other than molds , and at this time not ready to do that. I am going to get a new Browning 1885 BPCR in the next few weeks, would like to get the ball rolling . I have looked at BA and have the wads, their paper , the tapered expander , and tapered crimp on wish list . They for have .451 bullets ??
01-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Can I use a .446 sizing die to swage down a .452 pp bullet ? a BA swaged bullet
01-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Your going to have a very ugly looking bullet or a bent press handle Smile

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
01-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the help, ordered the .444 from BA . Have a Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express 45-90 and getting a Browning 1885 BPCR New in the Box, 45-70 . I guess I will have plenty to work out
01-03-2020, 12:29 PM

01-03-2020, 12:55 PM
I have been sizing all my paper patch bullets after patching for about 3 or 4 years now, even my 2-diameter ppb.

Benefits:

1) More uniform diameter of my snug fitting bore diameter ppb when chambering.

2) It irons out the fold over on the base very nicely.

3) The wrapped patch tends to stay wrapped around the bullet better and it does not unwind during handling while loading.

4) My bullets just look better which is a big confidence builder for me and is very intimidating to other competitors! Even other ppb shooters, but especially the greasers! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

On bullets that would otherwise be difficult to chamber (bore diameter) bullets. In my experience, sizing my ppb no more than .001", sizing after patching actually thins the paper and does NOT size the lead. I patch all my ppb dry and I do NOT use any lube on the patch. I can see no way that sizing would make the patch "stick" to the bullet and in fact all my patches come off at the muzzle even better.

I don't believe I've had a patch crumple when chambering since I started sizing them. This never happened very often before, but has not happened since. My bullets are a light thumb push into the bore, if a patch crumples I can feel it.

So I will continue to size my ppb. They look better, I look better and I'm more confident as I step to the line. Cool What's not to like!

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder

"Let us stand our ground. If we die, let us die here." Reverend William Emerson Concord, Massachusetts April 19, 1775