Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Stevens tip-up 38-35
12-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Stevens tip-up 38-35
I am looking for info on reloading dies and shell holder for 38-35 Everlast, I had brass made , but the rim is thicker for regular shell holder . I also need info on what grain bullets to use . The rifle has swiss style but, tang sight, front 2 position sight, holes for false muzzle , light trigger pull. any and all info would help. I have the receiver , but , and trigger guard out getting re plated
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2020, 01:36 PM
RE: Stevens tip-up 38-35
You might check Buffalo Arms to see if they have dies, but I would wonder if regular 38-55 dies might work?
I would suggest a chamber cast to take in about the first inch of rifling to get a bore measurement to get the correct bullet diameter. The false muzzle would also suggest it was built to shoot patched bullets, most likely of a diameter that when wrapped with thin or medium weight paper that would be a tight fit at the muzzle.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
01-01-2020, 02:44 PM
BA didnt have the brass, had to have it made special for me . They dont have dies , the Everlast Brass is different than the 38-55, it is a thicker walled case . I already did a cast and slugged the barrel to figure out what caliber it is . I have a guy trying to machine a shell holder for me . From what I have found it was a .375 diameter with a 215 grain bullet, I have never seen any listed or even seen one to have a mold made . I have talked a guy listed in Single Shot News about the false muzzle. He said its rare, it has 3 holes, most all had 4 .The research continues
01-02-2020, 12:58 AM
(01-01-2020 02:44 PM)flintlokusa Wrote:  BA didnt have the brass, had to have it made special for me . They dont have dies , the Everlast Brass is different than the 38-55, it is a thicker walled case . I already did a cast and slugged the barrel to figure out what caliber it is . I have a guy trying to machine a shell holder for me . From what I have found it was a .375 diameter with a 215 grain bullet, I have never seen any listed or even seen one to have a mold made . I have talked a guy listed in Single Shot News about the false muzzle. He said its rare, it has 3 holes, most all had 4 .The research continues

You might want to post on the ASSRA web sight, a lot of guys with great referance material on single shot rifles.
02-18-2020, 03:22 PM
3 months waiting, just got the action, trigger guard and butt plate, from nickel plating . Old gun looks pretty good. I have the brass and rifle back together , still have to find dies and shell holder . The rim on the 38-35 is .069 , .004 more than normal, hopefully shooting it soon
02-19-2020, 12:25 AM
There is a chance, depending on your chamber diameter and the cases you may not need to size them at all. If you do need to size them something like a bushing die would do the job. As to bullet molds, probably http://www.accuratemolds.com/ would be your best bet, they will cut a mold to the diameter you want. Another option would be to use a Lyman 310 tool to load with. Yea its slow and a pain in the butt but it should allow you to seat the primers and seat the bullet. The 310 shop might even be able to make you a custom sizing die to neck size the cases.
Sam
02-19-2020, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 08:50 PM by Kurt.)
Make a chamber cast and send it to CH-4D and they will make you a die.
Or 310 Tool down in Texas will make you a set. They even will make a bushing so you can use your loading press if you don't eat to use the Ideal 310 tool. I use one for the .44-77 and .44-75 Ballard. It also makes a great decaying tool.
Or you can take the less expense way out and sent a cast to PT&G and have a reamer made and get a die blank from them and make your own die set.Been down that road myself.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
02-19-2020, 08:56 PM
Here is a set I made. Sizing, swage die. and taper crimp.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
02-20-2020, 11:33 AM
With the thicker rims and walls sounds like 375 Winchester dies would work. I have two sets of RCBS dies. If you could measure a fired caseI could measure one of mine and see if they would work. Might be worth a shot.
02-20-2020, 11:55 AM
That is a interesting caliber that got my interest and did some reading on it. Randy the .375 Win is about as close to a parent case that is out there. The base could be swaged down to the .403 pretty easy with a simple die and if the rim needs to be turned down to fit the rim recess .492. Pacific tool has a .38-35 reamer to make a die from a die blank.
A sizing die can be made as well as a base swage die by not running the reamer in full length.
Something like this can be done using a good drill press or mill would be a couple steps up with a vice and careful indicating the die blank in a set of V blocks if a lathe is not available. I have used a drill press doing this before I got the lathe.
No I wouldn't chamber a barrel doing this Smile