Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
58 Cal Hawken
12-20-2019, 08:11 PM
58 Cal Hawken
I had a heck of a fun time this year hunting deer with my S Hawken replica 58 cal round ball rifle built by Mike Adcock of Doddridge Arkansas.

I took two great bucks here at the house in Oklahoma, one good buck in Arkansas, and a big bruiser of a buck up in Kansas, there is one Arkansas buck tag left, with a Christmas three day hunt upcoming, however, I best save that tag and try to get a buck with my original 45-110 Sharps buffalo rifle.

Our Friend Stephen said he'd post the pics tonight, Thanks in advance Stephen.

What a great, great rifle the 58 cal is with round balls, I have no other weapon that puts deer down quicker, all bucks again this year fell where they stood.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2019, 09:43 PM
RE: 58 Cal Hawken
G-500

My Son and I were hunting Deer here in IL and he was on the other side of the corn field about 500 yards off and I was in a ground blind fooling around with a new video camera when I heard the squelch break on my radio with a quiet voice my Son said, Dad are you letting that buck walk through? Smile That buck was inside 100 yards when I raised the .58 Hawken and let the ball fly. When that ball hit that 238# field dressed buck he went down sideways and never twitched.
When my Son came over to help drag him through the crick he said, When I saw that big ball of fire and a couple seconds later I heard that BOOM I knew it was all over Smile
The .58 Hawken Plains rifle is a great rifle. If you want to go after larger game, the Lyman mould makes a great heavy Mini ball that will fly straight also.
Kurt

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
12-20-2019, 10:49 PM
LOL, heck of a story Kurt, the first buck I hit at 76 yards in the shoulder was either knocked sideways or turned to run but couldn't, the picture of my rifle and shooting bag laying on him is exactly the way I found him.
The Kansas buck weighed 222lbs dressed, we guesstimated him to weigh 275 on the hoof, sounds like you buck may have been near 300 all up too.
I've thought of possible heavier game than deer or pigs with my 58 and round balls, were that to ever happen, I'd lean back to the old Bore Rifle hunters of Africa in days gone by, I'd cast my round balls at 16 to 1 and let em have it, my rifle is purpose built and the front sight filed for the full 140 grain load of FFG under the patched round ball, it is indeed an impressive killer, the Kansas buck at 133 yards is my longest shot so far.
12-20-2019, 10:51 PM
Gunner500    
12-20-2019, 10:54 PM

12-20-2019, 10:55 PM

12-20-2019, 10:56 PM

12-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Stephen, heck of a deal, Thank You very much for posting the pics Sir.

Buck #1 Oklahoma, 76 yards, dropped at the shot.
Buck #2 Arkansas, snuck up on in a clearcut, 31 yards, dropped at the shot.
Buck #3, less than 20 yards, dropped at the shot.
Buck #4, 133 yards, he dropped too, you can see the blood, lung and meat chunks in the grass, he flopped around a bit after the shot but was never able to get his running gear back up under himself, that ball was still carrying some serious freight to blast that much tissue out on exit.
12-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Man those are some fine bucks! Good work!!

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
12-21-2019, 12:20 AM
Nice deer

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.