Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kinda slow...
12-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Kinda slow...
So, I'll post something semi related.
My second hobby is metal detecting. I've dug stuff I've never heard of. Someone else just dug a gun related part. I was curious if I was the only one who never heard of it?????

A ring shell puller?? It a ring worn by a shotgun shooter to pull out stuck shells, presumably from a double gun. It has 3 claws that slipped down over the rim to allow a good jerk.

Heard of it????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2019, 08:28 PM
RE: Kinda slow...
Nope, I just assumed they carried cleaning rods to knock them out but can see how that might be unhandy in certain situations. I can't claim a second hobby as I have too many in addition to bpcr but I do swing a detector when possible.
12-11-2019, 11:27 PM
Gussy tell us more about your metal detector. I've often thought about getting one. I have alittle over a mile of the old Cheyenne to Deadwood stage road that crosses the pasture here at the house, and with all the cavalry ,ming, and indian activity, the old Texas trail and derivatives of the Oregon/California trails there's surely some interesting stuff laying around.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
12-12-2019, 12:54 AM
Don't do it Don, Is terribly addicting. then your poor guns will start gathering rust !!
12-12-2019, 02:03 AM
(12-12-2019 12:54 AM)Semtav Wrote:  Don't do it Don, Is terribly addicting. then your poor guns will start gathering rust !!

True. Most of the time I use a White's 3vi. I also have a White's Sport which would be better for someone starting out. Much easier to use and fully waterproof. I have a Minlab 800 but it never leaves the house. Going on Craigslist shortly. Very good machine but I'm so used to the White's I just don't want to put in the time to learn it.

Be warned... It takes at least 100 hours to learn what the machine can do and what the display is telling you. NONE of the detectors will tell you exactly what's down there. To start with you dig everything even if you think you know what's down there. Normal maximum depth is 8 inch. Depends on target size, how long it's been there, angle it sitting.
You can find bigger targets deeper than that or if conditions are perfect a dime at 12 inches. Something like a gun, pretty deep. Empty . 22 shells will drive you nuts as will lead (birdshot is a b***).

You will also need a pinpointer. Saves tons of work finding the target. Coins and small stuff can really hide.
12-12-2019, 02:08 AM
Ring shell puller. Example only, not the one found.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Thanks Gussy. Don't know if I'll ever get one, but it is something I keep thinking about. Not particularly interested in going whole hog on metal detecting, but there are a handful of places in our pastures it would be interesting to know if there's anything there or not.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
12-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Don if I'm ever headed your way I will bring a couple detectors and we can have a go at it. I'd love to. I just don't have that kind of opportunities here.
12-12-2019, 12:36 PM
I keep these in my kit as I do use paper 12, 16 and 20 gauge. Be prepared in case of base separation. Puller and hook tool.    
12-12-2019, 01:25 PM
(12-12-2019 12:36 PM)Eric Johanen Wrote:  I keep these in my kit as I do use paper 12, 16 and 20 gauge. Be prepared in case of base separation. Puller and hook tool.

Eric, are these still being made?