Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bills Big Deer
11-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Bills Big Deer
    I’ll let Bill tell the story. Congratulations on a beautiful buck Bill!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2019, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2019 11:10 PM by rdnck.)
RE: Bills Big Deer
Thanks for posting the picture , Stephen. Saturday was opening day of the rifle season in Texas, and I was fortunate enough to be invited to hunt on a friend's ranch in Bosque county. I shot this deer about thirty minutes before dark with my Shiloh 40-65 Roughrider from 85 yards. This ranch is not high fenced--this is a free ranging wild whitetail deer that has an inside spread of 18 1/2 inches and ten points.

Stephen had made me a paper patch 396 grain flatnosed bullet for my 40-70 Straight and my 40-65 and it shoots right to the sight in both rifles. I hit the deer low on the right shoulder, and the bullet passed through in a straight line and exited the opposite shoulder, pulverizing the shoulder joint. The deer went maybe five yards. This is the first game animal I have taken with the 40-65 and there is no doubt in my mind that this rifle and load will take any game in North America.

Thanks again Stephen for the bullet mold. This bullet is the Real Deal. Shoot straight, rdnck.
11-04-2019, 11:16 PM
(11-04-2019 11:08 PM)rdnck Wrote:  Thanks for posting the picture , Stephen. Saturday was opening day of the rifle season in Texas, and I was fortunate enough to be invited to hunt on a friend's ranch in Bosque county. I shot this deer about thirty minutes before dark with my Shiloh 40-65 Roughrider from 85 yards. This ranch is not high fenced--this is a free ranging wild whitetail deer that has an inside spread of 18 1/2 inches and ten points.

Stephen had made me a paper patch 396 grain flatnosed bullet for my 40-70 Straight and my 40-65 and it shoots right to the sight in both rifles. I hit the deer low on the right shoulder, and the bullet passed through in a straight line and exited the opposite shoulder, pulverizing the shoulder joint. The deer went maybe five yards. This is the first game animal I have taken with the 40-65 and there is no doubt in my mind that this rifle and load will take any game in North America.

Thanks again Stephen for the bullet mold. This bullet is the Real Deal. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Bill, great job! My 40-65 with PP has taken several deer and a buff, they work.
Rick
11-04-2019, 11:29 PM
Dang that's a nice one, Bill! Congrats!

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
11-04-2019, 11:33 PM
Rick, thanks for the flowers. I want to thank you for sharing your hunting experiences and insight with your 40-65 with me on the phone the last couple of years. Your success hunting with your 40-65 had a lot to do with me using mine to hunt with. Shoot straight, rdnck.
11-04-2019, 11:41 PM
Nice deer!

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
11-05-2019, 07:51 AM
Good loading, hunting and shooting RDNCK, Great buck, Congrats! easy to see by the broken eye guard and massive swollen neck, he had the ladies on his mind, and good on you too for machining out a hell of a good hunting bullet mould Stephen.
11-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Yeah, Gunner, he was definitely on a scent trail. He came out of the woods behind me and to my left walking low to the ground with his nose extended and checking the wind. It was a sight to see. His tarsal glands were really dark and swollen and you could really smell him. He was about fifty yards to my left when I first saw him, and I had to let him walk forty yards or so before I got a shooting lane through the brush in front of my stand. I shot him walking as soon as he gave me a window. Shoot straight, rdnck.