Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
41 Long Colt again
11-01-2019, 11:33 AM
41 Long Colt again
Loading up another batch of 41 Long Colt. I'll be running 3.7 and 3.8 grains of Bullseye for these with the Rapine hollow base bullet cast of pure lead. I have the following cases: Western (from the factory load), Remington OS and new Starline. OAL is Western @ 1.129, Remington @1.125, Starline @ 1.128. My old Bertram brass is very short @ 1.100 and will be discarded. Weighed cases are Western @ 71.0 grains, Remington @ 73.9 grains and Starline @ 77.2 grains. Years ago Bertram was the only brass available worked OK for light smokeless reloads. Western brass with the Rapine bullet OAL is 1.380, with the Lyman bullet it's 1.417. Both chamber with plenty of clearance in the Cimarron revolver. When last tested 3.5 grains of Bullseye was almost there for reliable expansion of the hollow base skirt. Somewhere between 3.7 and 4.0 grains of Bullseye should be just the ticket. I would not use these loads in a antique revolver. This gun is made with modern steel and should be safe with loads not over 4.0 grains. Having a limited supply of once fired Western and new unfired Remington I'll be using these for black powder and the Starline for smokeless loading. This is a really nifty six shooter and I am liking it more each time I use it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply