Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
41 Long Colt again
11-01-2019, 11:33 AM
41 Long Colt again
Loading up another batch of 41 Long Colt. I'll be running 3.7 and 3.8 grains of Bullseye for these with the Rapine hollow base bullet cast of pure lead. I have the following cases: Western (from the factory load), Remington OS and new Starline. OAL is Western @ 1.129, Remington @1.125, Starline @ 1.128. My old Bertram brass is very short @ 1.100 and will be discarded. Weighed cases are Western @ 71.0 grains, Remington @ 73.9 grains and Starline @ 77.2 grains. Years ago Bertram was the only brass available worked OK for light smokeless reloads. Western brass with the Rapine bullet OAL is 1.380, with the Lyman bullet it's 1.417. Both chamber with plenty of clearance in the Cimarron revolver. When last tested 3.5 grains of Bullseye was almost there for reliable expansion of the hollow base skirt. Somewhere between 3.7 and 4.0 grains of Bullseye should be just the ticket. I would not use these loads in a antique revolver. This gun is made with modern steel and should be safe with loads not over 4.0 grains. Having a limited supply of once fired Western and new unfired Remington I'll be using these for black powder and the Starline for smokeless loading. This is a really nifty six shooter and I am liking it more each time I use it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2019, 10:16 PM
RE: 41 Long Colt again
Eric,

Glad to see you working with the .41 LC!
The .41 LC is on the list of interesting stuff to play with at some point, should the opportunity happen.
I missed an affordably priced, good condition double action Colt (I think a New Army) at a gun show about ten years ago...
It's definitely a challenge, but challenges are good (as long as the learning curve isn't 100% vertical!).

-Tom
01-02-2020, 09:21 AM
Tom, the old .41 LC is a interesting cartridge and easy to load for. It is requied to use pure lead to get good the base expansion. I am considering a Model P in 38-40 (also a very good round) an having a extra cylinder rechambered for it. Would make a very nice shooter!
01-05-2020, 10:22 PM
Eric,

I think if I did .41 LC, I'd set myself up with original .406-.408 diameter heel type bullets.
Agree with you 100% on soft lead! It's needed for the hollow bases to bump up properly.
Doubly so if you're running .386 diameter slugs...
03-25-2020, 12:11 PM
(01-05-2020 10:22 PM)Tom Herman Wrote:  Eric,

I think if I did .41 LC, I'd set myself up with original .406-.408 diameter heel type bullets.
Agree with you 100% on soft lead! It's needed for the hollow bases to bump up properly.
Doubly so if you're running .386 diameter slugs...

Have original Colt Bisley .41 LC (Ranch Cowboy Gun)
Chambers .386
Groove .400
Use the (hollow base) Lyman Ideal 386178 Mould 1-20 alloy
5 grains of unique recent manufacture Western Brass
Winchester primer
Accurate, does not shoot to point of aim at 15 yards but will group