Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Bison Rant for Today
10-07-2019, 06:45 PM
RE: My Bison Rant for Today
LOL, that's funny, my Sharps rifles are indeed Buffalo rifles, both here and Africa, it would be fun too make one of them into an Australian Water Buffalo rifle too. Smile

The thread reminds me of the guys that call magazines, clips.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2019, 09:31 PM
(10-07-2019 06:45 PM)Gunner500 Wrote:  LOL, that's funny, my Sharps rifles are indeed Buffalo rifles, both here and Africa, it would be fun too make one of them into an Australian Water Buffalo rifle too. Smile

The thread reminds me of the guys that call magazines, clips.

LOL, or calling a rifle a gun Smile I have seen guys sleeping at night with gun boards under the blanked in basic training ( a 2x4 with spikes through it for calling a rifle a gun. Smile

Kurt

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
10-07-2019, 11:38 PM
(10-07-2019 05:26 PM)Caprock Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 12:55 PM)Rowdy Rick Wrote:  I actually addressed this a bit in an upcoming article for The American Sharps Shooters.

Rick

Look forward to reading it! Even the great naturalist William Hornaday entitles his topic the "American Bison or Buffalo" then goes on to use Buffalo throughout his descriptions.

It was more just a sentence or two alluding to the same topic as your post, just thought it interesting that I was not the only one to feel that way Smile

William Hornaday in "The Extermination of the Bison" wrote this in 1886:

Although Bison americanus is a true bison, according to scientific classification, and not a buffalo, the fact that more than sixty millions of people in this country unite in calling him a “buffalo,” and know him by no other name, renders it quite unnecessary for me to apologize for following, in part, a harmless custom which has now become so universal that all the naturalists in the world could not change it if they would.

Rick
10-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Another one of these things that makes me chuckle is Antelope. All manner of folks with nothing better to do get their panties ruffled up when someone talks about "Antelope hunting"
Well it's Pronghorn Antelope, an indigenous species only found in North America, and is not an antelope at all.....
Ok lady what ever suits ya, but I'm going antelope hunting, cuz that's what the license the Wyoming Game and Fish issued me... LOL

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
10-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the quote! I knew I had read that before but disremembered what, where, or why!:Big Grin

(10-07-2019 11:38 PM)Rowdy Rick Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 05:26 PM)Caprock Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 12:55 PM)Rowdy Rick Wrote:  I actually addressed this a bit in an upcoming article for The American Sharps Shooters.

Rick

Look forward to reading it! Even the great naturalist William Hornaday entitles his topic the "American Bison or Buffalo" then goes on to use Buffalo throughout his descriptions.

It was more just a sentence or two alluding to the same topic as your post, just thought it interesting that I was not the only one to feel that way Smile

William Hornaday in "The Extermination of the Bison" wrote this in 1886:

Although Bison americanus is a true bison, according to scientific classification, and not a buffalo, the fact that more than sixty millions of people in this country unite in calling him a “buffalo,” and know him by no other name, renders it quite unnecessary for me to apologize for following, in part, a harmless custom which has now become so universal that all the naturalists in the world could not change it if they would.

Rick
10-08-2019, 04:30 PM
(10-08-2019 09:01 AM)Don McDowell Wrote:  Another one of these things that makes me chuckle is Antelope. All manner of folks with nothing better to do get their panties ruffled up when someone talks about "Antelope hunting"
Well it's Pronghorn Antelope, an indigenous species only found in North America, and is not an antelope at all.....
Ok lady what ever suits ya, but I'm going antelope hunting, cuz that's what the license the Wyoming Game and Fish issued me... LOL

Don, yea have had that conversation before as wellSmile If we want to call all animals by their scientific names instead of their common names then all the people with dogs need to call their pets by the name, Canis lupus familiaris. Lupus was just added in 1993. I have used this in a debate before Smile Dogs is easier.

Rick
10-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Over the years of outfitting, we hosted clients from 48 different states. It was interesting to see some of the cultural differences from the various geographic areas in the U.S. Mannerisms, food differences, etc.

One of the most interesting groups we had here, were not hunters, but a group of friends wanting to view the buffalo, have a cowboy type meal, and stay in a tipi. These were all friends who had met in college. A very diverse group! The girls were from Pakistan, Spain, Greece, and India. The only guy, who was from the U.S. was married to the Pakistani. All of them worked in the D.C. area, and had attended school in that area.

Well we took them out on ATV's to see the buffalo, or bison as the girl from Greece called them, so I explained about the common name. No problem there. They had a great time, were taking photos and asking lots of questions. Then the Greek asked, how do you manage the numbers to keep them from over populating. I answered, by hunting, and went on to explain how it was difficult to haul a buffalo a long distance to a licensed processor to be able to sell the buffalo meat in retail stores, and that hunting was actually more humane.

Well, that was it! The buffalo sight seeing was over! So by supper time she had simmered down. We made a Cream Can dinner, with corn, meat, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, etc. The girl from India promptly asked do you have something more traditional for the area that does not have meat? I smiled and said, noSmile So the wife rounded up something that did not have meat in and she was happy.

So the dinner conversation gets around to guns............I am thinking this is not good! I just kept quiet and listened. The guy actually did some hunting so that was good. The Greek said I would just call the police and have them handle any intruders, at my home in DC. The guy told her about the average response time, and she still was arguing her points. Finally she asked her Pakistani friend what she thought. The Pakistani thought for a minute and then said, they gave us guns when we were in grade school, and made sure we knew how to use them!

I wish I would have photographed the wide open jaw of the Greek at the timeSmile She was speechless!

All in all we had a good time and they said they did too.

Rick
10-09-2019, 02:02 PM
(10-08-2019 09:01 AM)Don McDowell Wrote:  Another one of these things that makes me chuckle is Antelope. All manner of folks with nothing better to do get their panties ruffled up when someone talks about "Antelope hunting"

But Don, I grew being told that these were goats, Prairie Goats to be correct. I rarely refer to them as anything else - confuses the heck out of the non-residents. An old native fella (Absaroka) I grew up around always referred to them as "stinking goats".
Greg
10-09-2019, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2019 04:34 PM by Caprock.)
And we probably shouldn't even mention the fallacy of calling jackrabbits....Jackrabbits! Therefore, to avoid further confusion I deem it the American Lepus!