Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
“Getting A Stand”
08-30-2019, 05:53 PM
“Getting A Stand”
Just finished reading this book. Very interesting and entertaining. Some of them sure didn’t care for Pat Garrett and Billy Dixon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2019, 08:55 PM
RE: “Getting A Stand”
I finished it a couple months ago,as soon as my brother in law finishes it ,I'm going to take it down to Old Jim.
08-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Mooar didn't care for Dixon because he ran with the likes of Brick Bond. What they did to draw his ire wasn't revealed. Pat Garrett on the other hand had many detractors.
08-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Yeah Mooar said he would explain later and tell who made “the shot” at Adobe Walls but I guess he never did
08-31-2019, 01:33 PM
Wright Mooar was a sanctimonious prick. He was dismissive of his brother who stayed back and ran their hide and freighting business and made money for them while Wright stayed afield and enjoyed hunting buffalo. In his biography, Wright called his brother a "dullard"and his and his brother's families remained estranged until their deaths. Mooar's dislike of Dixon stemmed from the fact that Dixon sold liquor from the short lived store that Dixon established, and it offended Mooar's Presbyterian sensibilities. If this isn't enough, Mooar was at Adobe Walls the day before the attack, and knew of the impending attack by having been told by a friendly Indian and left without telling the men at the Walls about the the attack, even though he knew about it and when it was going to take place.

You'll find these little details in "In Search of the Buffalo, by Charles G. Anderson. Shoot straight, rdnck
08-31-2019, 02:42 PM
(08-31-2019 01:33 PM)rdnck Wrote:  Wright Mooar was a sanctimonious prick. He was dismissive of his brother who stayed back and ran their hide and freighting business and made money for them while Wright stayed afield and enjoyed hunting buffalo. In his biography, Wright called his brother a "dullard"and his and his brother's families remained estranged until their deaths. Mooar's dislike of Dixon stemmed from the fact that Dixon sold liquor from the short lived store that Dixon established, and it offended Mooar's Presbyterian sensibilities. If this isn't enough, Mooar was at Adobe Walls the day before the attack, and knew of the impending attack by having been told by a friendly Indian and left without telling the men at the Walls about the the attack, even though he knew about it and when it was going to take place.

You'll find these little details in "In Search of the Buffalo, by Charles G. Anderson. Shoot straight, rdnck

Thanks Bill! I didn't know that. That is definitely a shitty thing to do to your associates. I wonder if he was thinking it would cut down on his competition?
09-01-2019, 12:31 AM
Thanks to the OP and all who posted on this thread - I just ordered the two books you mentioned from Amazon used, but for under $18 plus shipping for both. This will be some winter evening reading. We are just finishing up our buffalo meat so I'll be wanting some more especially after reading these stories. Any of you ever read "Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners"? Miles Gilbert was one of the compilers of those two books. Pretty good biography sketches of every buffalo hunter and skinner they could come up with.
09-16-2019, 04:50 PM
I see and talk to Miles every year in May at the big SCA and Colorado Custom Gun Assoc. gun show. He is a meticulous researcher and is very familiar with the Buffalo hunt years. He told me that as soon as more of the 2 nd vol of the" Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and skinners" is sold the publisher and printer will print the 3 rd and final add'n. I have 2 signed copies of " Getting a Stand". Miles likes to hunt, back when he was living here in Rapid City ,SD I met him thru friends who were coworkers of his at the SD Archeological Research Ctr. One fall I took him out to hunt sharptail grouse behind my Setters, I had a tricolor Llewellin bitch and a Gordon bitch. Miles does okay with a shotgun too as I recall he was shooting a German 16 ga hammer double that day and managed to get a pretty double on a covey rise as well as a single later to limit out. It is an interesting experience to get to hang with a guy like Miles who is a very talented author. bobw
09-16-2019, 09:06 PM
(09-16-2019 04:50 PM)bobw Wrote:  I see and talk to Miles every year in May at the big SCA and Colorado Custom Gun Assoc. gun show. He is a meticulous researcher and is very familiar with the Buffalo hunt years. He told me that as soon as more of the 2 nd vol of the" Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and skinners" is sold the publisher and printer will print the 3 rd and final add'n. I have 2 signed copies of " Getting a Stand". Miles likes to hunt, back when he was living here in Rapid City ,SD I met him thru friends who were coworkers of his at the SD Archeological Research Ctr. One fall I took him out to hunt sharptail grouse behind my Setters, I had a tricolor Llewellin bitch and a Gordon bitch. Miles does okay with a shotgun too as I recall he was shooting a German 16 ga hammer double that day and managed to get a pretty double on a covey rise as well as a single later to limit out. It is an interesting experience to get to hang with a guy like Miles who is a very talented author. bobw

Great news!