Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Uberti Highwall
06-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Uberti Highwall
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I wanted to try black powder cartridge shooting so I bought a Uberti high wall in 38-55. I thought I would start with that and see where I go.
I need some help though. I would like to take down the rifle for a good cleaning and inspection. It is new from Taylor's. Can anyone recommend a resource with instructions for disassembly and assembly? I found the book by Wayne McLerran but don't want to buy it unless it will work for an Uberti rifle.
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2019, 07:58 PM
RE: Uberti Highwall
There should be some instructions with the user's manual for taking it down as far as you need to.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
06-26-2019, 12:26 AM
Thank you
The booklet that came with it doesn't have instructions on how to take down the rifle. There are instructions on the web on how to take down a win or browning. I'm just not sure how a Uberti would differ. Time to learn by doing I guess.
06-26-2019, 06:18 AM
Not sure why you would want to take it apart,but look for instructions on original 1885 Winchester. Italian models are the same.
06-26-2019, 07:46 AM
You can tinker with that rifle until you don't have a gun. Exactly why do you need to detail disassemble your piece when such disassembly is not needed for cleaning or maintenance?
07-27-2019, 12:02 AM
If I don't have to take it apart I won't. I'm just used to take down and cleaning the bolt etc. This is my first bpcr. Only 100 rounds so far but I see why these are such fun. I was given a pound of Goex 2F about 20 years ago I hung onto, so I'm to try black powder now. Wish me luck.
07-27-2019, 03:26 PM
As Said, The Uberti HIghwall is very much like Original Win High Walls.
Not very complicated.
The recent Browning/Winchester High Walls are/were made by Miroku of Japan and are Very Different and much more complex to disassemble. So those directions will not help you with the Uberti
beltfed/arnie
07-31-2019, 08:19 AM
(07-27-2019 12:02 AM)Weg67 Wrote:  If I don't have to take it apart I won't. I'm just used to take down and cleaning the bolt etc. This is my first bpcr. Only 100 rounds so far but I see why these are such fun. I was given a pound of Goex 2F about 20 years ago I hung onto, so I'm to try black powder now. Wish me luck.

In my opinion, the furthest you should have to take it apart unless you're having issues is removing the lever pin and dropping the breech block to clean this occasionally, and that's only if you are OCD. I have several original 1885`s that were functioning quite well when I got them and they looked like they had never been apart since new and they were from the late 1800's Wink
Just my 2 cents
Welcome to our world!
Greg
07-31-2019, 09:31 AM
I pull the breech block on my highwalls for cleaning a few times a year. It's no big deal, just follow the instructions for the originals. The only very slightly tricky part is lining everything up to put the pin back in. You will want something to keep everything lined up. Measure the pin on both sides. I shoot a few originals and repros and some are made with taper in the pin so it wants to go in one way.

These rifles sure are a lot of fun.

Chris.