Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sexiest Round this side of the North Platte
04-18-2019, 10:50 PM
Sexiest Round this side of the North Platte
I haven’t given the 40/50 SBN much love since I brought her home. Every time I’ve shot this rifle it’s been a real ringer. I took this rifle out a few weeks ago and ran 40 rounds through it from 150 to 403 yards. It honestly held its own at all yardages.

I tried my normal Fg load of 50 grains and also some FFg at 50 grains. I couldn’t see any noticeable differences which kinda surprised me. The only difference I could tell was the fouling was a bit harder with the FFg.

I’m posting under the hunting category so I better talk about hunting. This rifle has never killed an animal. I really need to take it out this fall and punch a hole through a deer or antelope with it. All my 50s and 45s have made meat but this little forty hasn’t been given a chance, even though I say I’m going to hunt with it every year.

SB

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2019, 12:48 AM
RE: Sexiest Round this side of the North Platte
That is a cute little bugger.
How long is the bullet?
I'm wondering if it might do well at laying an elk out cold at 100 yards or less.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
04-19-2019, 06:18 PM
You know it might Don. It’s a 265 grain Bullet that 15/16” long. I bought a couple original 40/50 rounds. One was a straight case the other a bottleneck. The bottleneck has a beautiful round nose Bullet and the straight case had a flat nose Bullet. I machined a Bullet copying the original flat nose and made it the same length and it ended up being 265 grains just like the originals. I also had a 1-18 twist put in the gun. She shoots nice.

SB
04-20-2019, 11:05 AM
That bullet penetrates like there is no tomorrow! In my 40-65 it will shoot all the way through a treated 4x4 corner post and blow a hole out the back side. You bet I would shoot an elk with it. Shoot straight, rdnck.
04-22-2019, 08:55 AM
That should make a good rabbit round Stephen Smile

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
04-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Hi Stephen, what rifle is it chambered inHuh

Ya ain't lost if ya don't care where ya are
04-22-2019, 11:50 PM
(04-22-2019 02:55 PM)Dave Roelle Wrote:  Hi Stephen, what rifle is it chambered inHuh

Dave it’s chambered in a Shiloh #3 sporter with a standard weight 26” barrel. It’s a lite rifle to carry.