Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Right on schedule
03-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Right on schedule
First day of spring, and sure enough just before sundown, heard the bull meadowlarks bugling.Big Grin

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2019, 08:12 AM
RE: Right on schedule
Very cool, Don I lived in CA for a good portion of my youth and young adulthood . Bumped all over the Coastal Range around the Bay Area, I have a soft spot for the Meadow Larks, as kids with BB guns Blackbirds, Sparrows,House Finches,Doves,Pigeons,Starlings,Quail a few Mockingbirds fell to the BB gun.We were hunters as kids and grew up on wineries full of something that needed shot at by a kid with a BB gun.
Mr. Meadowlark was off the list, not that we didn’t try ‘oh contraire try as we might we could never get close enough to get a shot with the trusty BB gun. If you could get close enough in the open grass lands the wind would howling and their in the tall grass. We could hear them calling within feet of our trusty BB guns but to no avail. I do not remember ever shooting a Meadowlark as a indiscriminate youth and his trusty BB gun. My brothers and I agreed Mr. Meadowlark was a very worthy target to a 11,9 and 8 year old boys and their trusty BB guns. Time and wisdom reaches us all eventually and the call of Mr Meadowlark is very special indeed, I am relieved to know I was never guilty of silencing his beautiful call.
Mr. Meadowlark is a year round resident in CA in the open grass lands and Oak Savannah’s. I just recently learned that Mr. Meadowlark migrates from Wyoming in the fall to better winter SW and W states. As with Mr. Robin who just showed up a few days ago I will welcome Mr. Meadowlark in the very near future without my trusty BB gun. God Bless Mr. Meadowlark.
03-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Randy we haven't got the Robins back yet, I suspect they'll be soon here. The Robins usually show up the same day as a good heavy wet snow. Then shortly after that the Killdeer will arrive, and then it's a safe bet winter has gone home until at least August.. Smile

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-21-2019, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2019 11:01 AM by Randy Bohannon.)
Robins are in Sheridan, not a lot but a few of the boys have showed up. You’re right about the heavy wet snow and the Robins showing up. I see large flocks of males a few weeks before the girls show up after a good spring storm, near 60 today in Buffalo, a whoohoo day on tap. I’ve seen Killdeer literally nest a foot off of a busy dirt road, we put cones around her nest and she did fine,the dust had to be awful.
03-21-2019, 11:08 AM
The Geese are heading north in droves this morning.
I like to hear the Killdeer, and it's fun when the chicks hatch out.
I suppose it won't be long now until the long billed Kerluw show up, those are nasty birds they attack about anything they think is getting to close to their nests.

03-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Man, you guys bring back memories! Don, I like the Kildeers also, their vocals are distinctive. Do you have American Bitterns out there in WY land? I saved a baby one once when mowing in the hayfield. They are the ugliest thing..........even a mother could not love themSmile

Rick
03-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Rick I've not seen any of the Bitterns, that I know of, guess I'll have to look them up to be sure.
The dang turkey vultures were a terrible problem during late calving, if a new born calf laid still long enough they would decide it was dead and swoop in and peck their eyes out,,, of course the calf would be dead shortly after that..

03-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Snowbirds are heading north from Arizona, hope to be joining them soon.
03-21-2019, 07:37 PM
LOL,drive safe Mike, see you at Alliance.

03-22-2019, 11:34 PM
(03-21-2019 04:04 PM)Don McDowell Wrote:  Rick I've not seen any of the Bitterns, that I know of, guess I'll have to look them up to be sure.
The dang turkey vultures were a terrible problem during late calving, if a new born calf laid still long enough they would decide it was dead and swoop in and peck their eyes out,,, of course the calf would be dead shortly after that..

Don, we always called them shypokes when we were young. They like sloughy, rushy areas. I think in reading "Old Jules" about Jules Sandoz in western NE, he said they called them shiite pokes which was a Swiss name meaning they scared the shiite out of you when they took off unexpectedly. They would not fly till you almost stepped on them and are a fairly large bird. They have a big booming drum sound akin to a huge bullfrog for lack of a better comparison.

Turkey vultures have really moved into our country, never saw them much as a kid. I counted 13 on dead neighbors cow a couple years ago. I have heard they can be rough on calves.

Rick