Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Interesting...
03-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Interesting...
Sometimes it takes awhile for something to jump up into the spotlight, no matter how many times you've seen it or read it.

Of recent we've all heard the diatribe about lack of shooter numbers for this match or that,, well here's something to ponder.
In the Sept.1879 Creedmoor match, there were 34 shooters.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2019, 12:37 PM
RE: Interesting...
And they got there by ship, train or horse....
03-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Long Island railway actually ran a special train for the matches, and the New York Times had reporters giving up to the minute dispatches..

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-17-2019, 11:45 PM
Imagine a train full of guys toting rifles these days :-).

I wonder how many guys tried out to qualify for the various team matches?

Chris.
03-18-2019, 12:28 AM
I think that the spring match was the qualifier for the fall matches in Ireland and England.

03-19-2019, 05:00 PM
I know I hear about the lack of interest in the organized shooting sports, like Creedmore, Schuetzen, and Sillywhet, I usually have about three 22 matches a year, occasionally four at my range. It isn't sanctioned, the distances I have fall a few yards short of 200, but my steels are regulation, we use NRA reduced for mid-range, Wyoming Schuetzen for another and the occasional white buffalo match. One time I let the word out and had a few fliers. We had so many shooters that we ran until dark trying to get everyone through. Crowds in shooting sports are over rated! - just my opinion. I use word of mouth any more, invite a few, and still end up with 20 some - about half of my first go. We have a good time at all of them and I still get remarks from the few that missed or didn't get the memo about their regrets. So the folks that do an organized match like this and get 40 or 50 that participate, my hats off to them. If this sport gets a few that are consistent, a couple that are the occasional shooter and at least one or two newbies at every match, it's good- not great, but good.
03-19-2019, 05:38 PM
I find it particularly interesting in that there were fewer shooters in the matches that were the very foundation of the NRA, than there are now, and the NRA says there's not enough participants to continue the matches....
At any rate Greg I agree with you large numbers at any given match don't translate into a great match.

03-19-2019, 09:30 PM
I know what you're saying with the NRA, and it's all about the dollar!? isn't it? What is the attendance numbers for the other matches? How does our discipline compare?
I quit following the other disciplines many years ago.
Unless it was presented as "new", (I remember when IHMSA first started, wow!) everything else compared to what we have unless the guard or military was involved. If someone up the administration chain was addicted to that discipline the numbers seemed to matter less...?
03-19-2019, 10:05 PM
Yup