Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Long Winter Project
03-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Long Winter Project
Taking up my winter project again with the cold and snow refusing to break. Purchased a very nice clean 5'th model Burnside carbine model last fall. Excellent bore but it has a tight ball seat and barrel. Cases from Lodgewood in both plastic and brass. The plastic cases will just chamber and the brass are just too large for my gun. Bullet mold from Accurate Molds is oversize for the ball seat and barrel. Have received brass cases from S&S Firearms and they chamber nicely and worked down the bullet so it fits the carbine. I am sending the modified bullet and a plastic case back to Accurate to cut a new mold and when I have it Ill check the fit in the cases and carbine. If things work I'll order a supply of brass from S&S. I've wanted to add a good Burnside to my collection for a very ling time and just had to find the right one at the right price. I have a repro Garret 63 Sharps, Erma Gallagher and an Italian Smith carbine so this will complete my CW carbine collection.        
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2019, 06:25 PM
RE: Long Winter Project
Not familiar with how they operate. How about a photo of the action open and one of the shells.
03-07-2019, 11:32 AM
The Burnside uses a tilting block similar to the Hall. Small lever inside the trigger guard lever unlocks the breech block. The cartridge is tapered to ease extraction with a ring bulge at the front which serves as the gas seal. The design precludes loose powder and ball loading. Burnside was the 3'rd most ordered carbine during the CW. Some 55,000 were purchased. 2'nd only to the Sharps until the production of the Spencer. My friend shoots a nice example and I've been looking for one to add to my collection.            

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-16-2019, 10:37 PM
One just came up for sale on the cast boolits site
03-17-2019, 07:57 AM
They are a very interesting design and the trick is to find one in nice clean condition with a good bore. Mine is very nice and should be a good shooter when I get everything together.