Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Chicken Alloy
12-29-2018, 06:19 PM
New Chicken Alloy

For about a year or so I been developing a new alloy that reacts like a lead and tin mix but casts a very light bullet but still holds together to take down the silhouette. I'm getting very close to what I'm looking for.
The photo above are two bullets cast with the same mould and both are filled out completely but one weighs 475.5 gr and the other weighs 373.1 gr that makes 102.4 difference in weight cast with the same mould.
I haven't tested or recovered enough to say, that's what I'm looking for Smile
Kurt

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2018, 07:48 PM
RE: New Chicken Alloy
Uh Huh i have plenty of Bismuth Smile-----------------if its not too brittle its an interesting concept Kurt

Ya ain't lost if ya don't care where ya are
12-29-2018, 09:21 PM
Dave it has bismuth in it but it needs some other stuff to make it hold together and make it pliable like lead does. I will let you know when I get it perfected.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
12-29-2018, 10:04 PM
nice Kurt AT Estate Cartridge (i was one of the 4 owners) we loaded tons (literally) of bismuth shot for the Bismuth Cartridge Company and later for Winchester-----------its interesting metal one of those odd materials that expands when it freezes

Good luck with testing --------think ill have a go at it when i have a minute after the holidays

Stay Safe

Ya ain't lost if ya don't care where ya are
12-29-2018, 10:13 PM
Sure liked the way Bismuth smacked ducks.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
12-29-2018, 10:27 PM
Could the weight be be lowered with the same external profile but with an adjustable nose punch for a hollow point?
12-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Jim you would have to just about go all the way through to take 100 grains off and loose most of the me plat.
I have an identical mould a little shorter that will drop a 454 gr and with this alloy it drops at 346 gr.

12-29-2018, 11:17 PM
Kurt, you better paint the nose on the light one!! If they look exactly the same..... I can see what happens next.....
12-29-2018, 11:22 PM
OK Jim your idea, What color??? Tongue

12-29-2018, 11:49 PM
Black, they'll think it's AP ammo.