Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm thinking.....
11-18-2018, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking.....
Confused Smile I have a very good shooting .40-70 Shiloh with a 34" HVY barrel that does not make silhouette weight. This rifle is my first Shiloh I have had over 20 years and it sot well enough that it earned me a lot of dust collectors at gong shoots but it has been a safe queen for several years now.
This is what I been rolling around in my mind for about a year now. Two years ago I started shooting silhouette and it has really has stared me liking this game so I had a .40-65 CPA build that is a tack driver but it's right at 12#1/2 oz with the tang sights and it has not rang a ram yet but they fall very slowly and it's a little heavy for off hand to my liking so I been thinking cutting the barrel down to 28" maybe but I have no idea what a 28" barrel will do with black powder loads all mine have been 30" plus except the 73 trapdoor carbine .45-70 I have and it shoots very well with it's short barrel but I hate to think that this might change the way it shoots.
Does anyone here shoot a 28" BPCR? and what does the short barrel balance do for you off hand?

Kurt

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2018, 01:48 AM
RE: I'm thinking.....
I've had a couple of rifles with the 28 inch barrel, not much difference in balance between those and a 30 inch barrel. Velocity will be a tad slower, and it makes for some stranger than what you're used to sight come ups.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
11-19-2018, 10:03 AM
(11-19-2018 01:48 AM)Don McDowell Wrote:  I've had a couple of rifles with the 28 inch barrel, not much difference in balance between those and a 30 inch barrel. Velocity will be a tad slower, and it makes for some stranger than what you're used to sight come ups.

TNX Don, I figured that would be the case. But I think I will still cut it back to a 30" to make weight. Lately I been making the barrel lengths 30 and the light 32" and I don't see any negatives between either the 34" or 30".

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
11-19-2018, 10:37 AM
I like the standard weight 32 inch barrels the best for cartridges that don't burn over 80 grains of powder.
Altho the original 50 with it's 26 inch barrel is sure a sweet handler.
Doc has one of the CSA hunters rifles in 40-70 and that is sure a nice handling rifle.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
11-19-2018, 10:43 AM
My .44-77 hunting rifle has a 32" light barrel and it comes in at 10#1oz with the crescent buttplate and single trigger, it shoots and handles very good. I planned on taking it this coming season for a back up silhouette rifle.

11-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Smile shot the .40 today in the back yard with ammo that is I don't know how many years it was loaded makes me think just leave it as it LOL.

11-19-2018, 11:10 PM
Just get the hack saw out....
11-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Rotozip tool is faster, and you could use it to cut a new crown and front sight notch.

11-20-2018, 12:09 AM
Leave it alone. The 40-70 won't take rams down any quicker than the 40-65. In fact, it might ring a couple.

Sidra never rang a ram with her 40-65 when she was shooting a 410 grain 740 Saeco at 1150 fps. They fell slow, but they always fell. We wanted a little more horsepower, so we went to a 421 grain brooks at 1307 fps, and rang four rams in our first three matches with the heavier, faster bullet. What happened was that the faster bullet was blowing up on the surface of the ram and not pushing it over. When we went back to the Saeco at 1150 fps, we quit ringing them, as the slower bullet stayed together better and pushed the ram over. This was with 30-1 alloy.

You will also find that the 28 inch barrel makes sight adjustments a LOT more sensitive, and I found vertical corrections on the turkey to be almost impossible to make and stay on the bird in some wind conditions. Shoot straight, rdnck.
11-20-2018, 02:38 AM
Ya Bill your right, besides if I would hack saw or zip a chunk off I would have to buy a file and cold chisel to push a dove tail to seat the sight again. Too much work involved. Smile