Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Whooe! The Old West Rides Again!
09-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Whooe! The Old West Rides Again!
Just picked up a Cimarron Lighting in .41 Colt. Birds head checkered grip and 5.5 inch barrel. Have to give it a cleaning and fresh lube and get it on the range. Have already dug out the Rapine .386 hollow base mold and have a few bullets already cast up. Located my die set and my brass. New Remington and once fired Winchester Western. Can't remember which shell holder I used in the past so I'll just open up a spare .38 Special and I'll be good to go. Seem to remember about 18 to 20 grains of 2 fg. black worked well in my old Colt's. I'll be making some smoke this weekend!! Really about time someone offered a modern made smoke wagon in this forgotten caliber.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2018, 05:46 PM
RE: Whooe! The Old West Rides Again!
(09-17-2018 03:21 PM)Eric Johanen Wrote:  Just picked up a Cimarron Lighting in .41 Colt. Birds head checkered grip and 5.5 inch barrel. Have to give it a cleaning and fresh lube and get it on the range. Have already dug out the Rapine .386 hollow base mold and have a few bullets already cast up. Located my die set and my brass. New Remington and once fired Winchester Western. Can't remember which shell holder I used in the past so I'll just open up a spare .38 Special and I'll be good to go. Seem to remember about 18 to 20 grains of 2 fg. black worked well in my old Colt's. I'll be making some smoke this weekend!! Really about time someone offered a modern made smoke wagon in this forgotten caliber.

Sized brass chambers nicely. Loaded rounds with the Rapine bullet at .388 and the Lyman bullet at .390. Loaded left and right.    
09-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Winchester/Western white box factory load. Lot # 82HG03. 200 grain Lubaloy bullet. (200.8 grains actual) 7.1 grains of a non canister smokeless powder special ordered by a client back in the mid 1970's. Consisted of several 100 thousand rounds. I still have several boxes and use it to compare to my handloads. Very good ammo, Winchester really got this right! With the Rapine bullet comparing favorable in design.    
09-19-2018, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 08:01 PM by Eric Johanen.)
Winchester/Western factory load at 12 yards. Very good accuracy and no evidenced of bullet tipping. The hollow base bullet shows good expansion. I was pulling a bit to the left today but pleased with how the new shooter performed. First 5 shots and then another 5.[attachment=1220     The 7 at 9 is from a previous target. The 10 at 9 is a double

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-19-2018, 10:23 PM
I like it!
09-20-2018, 12:33 PM
This is my first time using smoke less powder in this cartridge. Rapine bullet and 3.5 grains of Bullseye shot most of the rounds impacted nice and straight. However, 8 of 20 did not engrave the rifling. I'll try 3.7 and 3.8 grains on the next range day.        
09-20-2018, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 02:07 PM by Eric Johanen.)
Now for the piece of resistance! Black powder loads. These loads are over 8 years old and put up when I had Colt Model 1877's and a .41 caliber DA Army revolver. I know they used GOEX but not really sure if it was 2 fg or 3 fg. First 5 showed 1 bullet tipped. 10 shots showed 2 more tipped bullets and the last 5 showed no tipped bullets. Close but still no cigar. I'll be testing with Swiss and OE 3 fg and see if the pressure and faster burning powders result in good accuracy and no tipped bullets. Smoke and a bit more recoil than the factory or handloaded smoke less loads.