Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Designing the 2-diameter paper patch bullet.
05-07-2019, 07:41 PM
RE: Designing the 2-diameter paper patch bullet.
Tnx. Jim.

I guess I better spend the night loading more. I should have stayed home from Alma and used that time loading and casting.
It's been a rough time here with Carolyns 96 year old Mother and things that needed work on here plus the sawbones have their hooks in me again this winter. I usually have all my loading done for the Baker and Q plus closer matches by this time but I don't have 250 cases loaded now.
And another glitch while loading. I had to open another case of 1.5 Swiss and filling cases with 84 grains of the last case gave me .080" compression and it was a good load and this new lot just about filled the case to the rim and it increased the compression with the same weight by .110" more. Who was that said that Swiss was very consistent case to case???????? too late to shoot some test loads. It will be interesting when all of this is over.
TNX. Again Jim. See you tomorrow evening..........Kurt

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2019, 11:36 PM
Kurt,

Keep on loadin'!

With Swiss 1 1/2 I have had good luck staying with the same weight when I switch lots and just let the compression be whatever it takes to load to your COAL.

I loaded 83.0 grains with the old Swiss with very little compression, about .060. When I went to the new stuff 83.0 grains require .150" compression for the same setting depth. That part is a bit inconsistent, but 83.0 grains of the old and 83.0 grains of the new shot the same, the compression difference didn't seem to matter. If anything the new stuff shot a bit better.

Same thing with my .40-65, 73.0 of the old and 73.0 grains of the new shot the same, but the compression is more with the new. Keep the weight the same and just let the compression be what it has to be. It will be fine.

I lucky enough to have enough Swiss 1 1/2 of all the same lot to last me a good long time. I shouldn't have to worry about changing lots again until after I'm old enough it really won't matter.

Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
05-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Don, are you still using the "tank buster" mold or have you acquired more of the same design? If so, could you share dimensions for the 44.?
05-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Sam I still use the same tank buster design. The original one I have from Old West doesn't see much time now as the blocks got soft and it became hard to cast one with out a seam. So I gave Brooks one of the bullets and asked him to duplicate it in his nose pour adjustable. Then had him do another one in 45 with his original postel nose. The 40 I'm using is again from Brooks. I had him to make that one a base pour, 400 on the base 395 at the base of the nose , again the original postel nose 1.29 long.
The 44/aka tank buster is .435 on the base, .432 at the base of the nose. Most of the ones I cast for the 2 1/4 bn are 1.29 long and weigh 460 gr.
Giving hard consideration to having him cut another 44 base pour using the same diameters only taking the length to 1.35 with the original postel nose. Should work like a champ in the 44-90 st. Altho I think if I had him cut it at 1.3 it should still fly in the 44-77 out to 800 , maybe 1000 and still work well in the 44-90 st. Also thinking that the 1.3 length might be a good one to have a 44-70 st built..

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
05-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Thanks, I'm kinda looking at Accurate for a DD....notice he has a couple of designs.
05-08-2019, 08:50 PM
I hadn't looked at Toms moulds for quite some time. I suspect he would do one about any dimensions you wanted. He makes good moulds. Just wish he could build a true round nose with no me plat.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
05-09-2019, 10:29 AM
(05-08-2019 08:50 PM)Don McDowell Wrote:  I hadn't looked at Toms moulds for quite some time. I suspect he would do one about any dimensions you wanted. He makes good moulds. Just wish he could build a true round nose with no me plat.

Me too....but seemingly he won't budge on that. Really like the quality of Accurate molds.
05-09-2019, 10:47 AM
The moulds I've got from him have always been first rate.