Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trying out the Shiloh
08-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Trying out the Shiloh
Picked up a beautiful #1 Shiloh 45-70 with a 32 inch standard weight barrel, has an MVA long range soul and a Baldwin front on it.

Finally got around to giving it a bit of a run. Shot at 500 meters.Was somewhat surprised by the two bullets it shot well. Both were loaded on top of 75 gr of OE 2f with the Napa rubber cork wad, and muzzleloader original dry lubed felt wad. Both bullets also wrapped in Seth Cole 55 w.

.444 diameter 1.1 inch long from the Old West nose pour adjustable creedmoor mould. cast from wheelwright.

.446 525 M from BACO cast with 16-1

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2018, 09:05 PM
RE: Trying out the Shiloh
Good shooting Don, looks like that rifle will work!

Rick
08-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Looks like that rifle is a keeper. Most rifles wit an 18 twist won't shoot a short bullet that well at 500 meters. It's no slouch with the heavier bullet, either. Nice snag. Shoot straight, rdnck.
08-01-2018, 11:23 PM
"cast from wheelwright"
Don, do you mean wheel weights? Will wheel weight lead work for PP bullets? Tomorrow I'm going to shoot some 45-110 pp bullets I just cast today from 1/16.
08-01-2018, 11:47 PM
Thanks Rick and Bill, I got the whole package for 2500, so I am really happy, altho I had one bullet I tried in it, that is usually a good one that was slapping the target full on sideways.. Not sure what that was all about yet.

Steve, yeh I got tired of fighting with auto correct and just let it go as wheelwright.
The older wheel weights work good for a lot of grooved and slick bullets, but I don't have much of that left and am saving it for a rainy day.
That 1 -16 should work great in the 110, both of mine like it.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
08-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Congratulations Don, on the rifle and the shooting! My Shiloh seems to really like the BACO greaser 525 Money of 16:1. I could find some for you if you want to try greasers.
08-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Big Grin Thanks Steve, but I have around 200 each of the 525 and 535 money greasers sitting on the shelf.. I just can't get myself even interested in getting into the greasy nasty mess of lubing bullets any more..
I've also got a couple hundred rounds of 45-70 loaded with the 525 greaser bullet loaded and in boxes, left over from when Carol was still shooting her 45-70, but the thoughts of mistreating a fine rifle with greasers...Sad

08-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Nice work Don!

Chris.
08-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Thanks Chris. Still a bit of load work to do, but that money bullet load will be the one that goes to the Wy. State BPCRS match in a couple of weeks.

08-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Don both of those targets show very good promise with a little more tweeking.
I always said that the standard weight barrels shoot just as well as the heavy. Just a little more felt recoil but if one can handle a little more push they shoot very good.
If I would ever order another rifle it would be with a light weight barrel. They just handle better off hand.

By the way!! shame on even thinking about polluting that rifle with the greasers Tongue

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.