Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shooting the Borchardt
05-24-2018, 03:32 PM
Shooting the Borchardt
Got a screaming deal on a Borchardt built up by Schuetzen gun works .
Took a handful of rounds out to the range to see what it could do. I really like the way the gun handles, need some more time to get used to it, and possibly get some work done on the rear sight base. But even in 45 2 7/8 it was plumb nice to shoot.
The load was 105 gr. of OE 1f in Baco reformed 348 cases, rp 9 1/2 primer, .060 fiber wad and the dry lubed felt wad, under a .446535 M bullet cast from 16-1 and wet wrapped in Seth Cole 55 W. Exposed patch wiped with jojoba oil. Wipe between shots with the Bore Wiper's from BACO , 7-1 napa oil and water, followed by a 2 1/2 in. flannel patch.
Wind was a bit tricky but light. Need to get the range flags up one of these days.
The rifle
[Image: IMG_0039_zpsjfxxyxni.jpg]

800 yards
[Image: IMG_0037_zpsne4stkti.jpg]

900 yards
[Image: IMG_0041_zpsrcdhtppc.jpg]

Ran out of ammo before we could really get dialed in on 1000 but shows some promise.
[Image: IMG_0042_zpsrywjcspj.jpg]

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2018, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2018 07:21 PM by Kurt.)
RE: Shooting the Borchardt
Don that looks like a fine shooter.
When are you going to open the gun shop with the inventory you been building up Tongue
I been looking for a nice one for a while and I passed up a consignment rifle sitting in the rack complete with tools and heal sight. It was a 2.6 with a bone panel and a 6K price tag. Carol said get it you been looking for one and I walked back to the rack three times and picked up some primers and drove off. It was at Madison Wis and when I got home two hrs later I picked up the phone and called the shop and was told I just put a sold tag on it and put it in the safe Smile

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
05-24-2018, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2018 09:38 PM by Gunner500.)
Nice, congrats on the new rifle Don, reading threads like this, and with my 44-77 on order, I'm about to convinced to re-install the Hoke sight and DT front sight on my bull barrel 45-110, the 44-77 plus the others will make plenty of barrel sighted rifles to hunt with.

Kurt, BTDT, "once," never again, if I pick something up that's fairly priced more than one time, it's leaving with me ;]

We all know we're just one more rifle away from having a complete collection.Smile
05-24-2018, 10:15 PM
It is a real nice rifle. Love the trigger pull. the length of pull is just a tad short, but I think in time it can be a contender for all-round rifle. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to handle the recoil from that big hoss cartridge.
Almost wound up enough on it to get ahold of Borchardt Rifle Co. and see about another 45-90.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
05-24-2018, 11:20 PM
I think the .45-90 is a all around good caliber for any match shooting. Mild recoil capable of good accuracy at any range.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
05-25-2018, 12:31 AM
I like the cartridge. It really shines with Jamison brass and OE 1 1/2 powder.

05-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Don, nice gun and good shooting as well. I just started working up a load using OE 1 1/2 powder for my 45-90 and it is showing some promise.

Rick
05-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Rick thanks.
With greasers in the jamison cases 81-82 grains about right. Patched 84. Eddie shoots 85 2f in starline with his wad stack and patched. RP 9 1/2 primers will be your friend with that Br-2s almost as good.

05-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Nice rifle Don! I like Borchardt's quite a lot. Did BRC do the triggers? Mine has a really nice trigger, which was a bit of a surprise given all I've ever read about the Borchardts.

I recently saw one built by Argus Barker that was a copy of an original Creedmoor rifle in .45-2.6". I think the barrel might have been a little heaver in weight than the original Creedmoor rifles though. It was tempting for me, but the safe is full at the moment.

Chris.
05-25-2018, 11:40 PM
Chris this is a Mc Kinney built gun don’t know who did the trigger but it is sweet. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is to shoot.
Thinking about taking it to Lodi for the cup match and shooting it off a wrist rest.