Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
'74 Sharps rep elevation change
05-14-2018, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2018 01:13 PM by Martini2.)
'74 Sharps rep elevation change
Had following experience with my Pedersoli Silhouette rifle in 40-65. Two weeks previously at gong match "we" had trouble with elevation shifts. score on Pigs at 300 was dismal. Shots would go just over back. Elevations adjustments would result in miss low etc. So the action and forearm were disassembled. The lock was given a good clean and lube. The action block was pulled apart and thoroughly cleaned and lubed. Firing pin pulled and inside was scrubbed with Q tip. Some tiny bits of brass removed. It also appeared the firing pin had been struggling to move out of hole in face of breach block. So in addition to cleaning the firing pin spring was replaced. This aligned the tip with hole better. Next the Forearm was examined and a hard contact area was found on edge of inletting of lever spring dovetail mount. Area was relieved a bit and some wood sanded off the area between forearm and action face. Wood was sealed with tung oil. Typically it is said there should be an air gap equal to thickness of paper there. Not enough material has been removed yet to show a line of light. The rifle was fired again yesterday at local gong match. I'm glad to say hits at 300 yds were much improved. HERE'S the kicker my rear elevation for similar load is now 26 minutes LOWer. Is this entirely barrel bedding, is it possibly faster/better primer ignition? on positive the grouping is now close to 2MOA at 300 yds Huh Same bullet 410663 was used. ??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2018, 02:16 PM
RE: '74 Sharps rep elevation change
Sometimes it's just as simple as shooting on a partly cloudy day were the clouds are moving fast throwing shadows.
I would go back to the 200 yard line and if the rifle is tapped for a scope put it on and see if the vertical continues and if it does I would work with case prep.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
05-14-2018, 07:13 PM
Part of it could be the cleaning of the firing pin. The stringing could come from a number of things such as Kurt mentioned. Fouling control done improperly can also give you fits with vertical stringing.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
05-15-2018, 11:01 AM
This '74 rifle is set up for irons only sights Parker aperture front and Lee Shaver Soule rear. Seem to recall some of Kurt's infinite wisdom on a particular rifle that was subject to hand grip pressure or shooting position. Possible barrel vibration node on cross sticks too? Since this rifle was christened with the wacky feminine name of " Lucy" she just may be having her way with me Tongue Thanks for ideas and comments.
05-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Yes but in my case it's henry the gremlin giving me fits Smile I verified this problem again when I shot at Alma Michigan again a couple weeks ago and at 500 mtrs it sure made a difference between pulling it tight into the pocket and down pressure on the sticks. Just a tight grip to keep it from twisting and let it lay on the sticks and hang loose sitting on a 45 degree and roll with the recoil made a big difference.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
05-15-2018, 08:43 PM
I like those words Kurt!

Let it lay in the stixs, set at a slight angle to the rifle with enough pocket-pressure to be able to endure 40 shots, and let 'er rip !!!!

Jim

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
05-21-2018, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 10:39 PM by Kurt.)
(05-15-2018 08:43 PM)Old Jim Wrote:  I like those words Kurt!

Let it lay in the stixs, set at a slight angle to the rifle with enough pocket-pressure to be able to endure 40 shots, and let 'er rip !!!!

Jim

Jim Carol made the comment after a couple shots fired that that load is really pushing you back more then the other load. I said the same load just relaxing more Smile Well she said "don't let it put you on the ground" LOL.