Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My first handgun
03-10-2018, 03:51 PM
My first handgun
I bought this Ruger Vaquero back in 1994 as my first handgun. When I took it to the range for the first time I was immediately questioned as to why I would get 'one of those' as my first. The answer was simple "I've wanted one since I was waist high".

[Image: oUin1i6.jpg?2]

I liked the high polished stainless and the 5 1/2" barrel. I also had to have the fake ivory grips. I went with the traditional chambering of .45 Colt and saved every piece of brass after firing factory loaded ammunition.

[Image: y1eYJZY.jpg?2]

I had just joined a newly founded SASS affiliated club so after funds allowed I picked up a second.

[Image: shofOWk.jpg?3]

Then I bought a reloading set up from a guy who needed funds to buy a house. It was mostly Dillon made and I taught myself to handload - using pyrodex. My first handloads had Pyrodex P in them and the bullets I sourced locally and had no grease grooves in them at all!

Oh boy did I make a mess. They smoked nicely, and hit the targets, but both revolvers got completely gummed up and were very difficult to cock and use. They cylinders hardly wanted to turn. That ended that experiment and my
use of pyrodex.

I went onto using a smokeless load with Unique and have put thousands of rounds through this pair of revolvers. I smoothed out the actions and installed lighter springs. I also changed out the base pins.

[Image: vyT8QcG.jpg?1]

These guns taught me a lot about shooting and loading. I only shot SASS for six or seven years and these hardly get shot anymore. That's a shame, I need to make some time for them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2018, 09:18 PM
RE: My first handgun
45 colt is a great cartridge.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
03-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Nice handguns Hanz, traditional stuff!

Jim

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
03-11-2018, 10:07 PM
(03-11-2018 12:42 PM)Old Jim Wrote:  Nice handguns Hanz, traditional stuff!

Jim

Thanks Jim.

These are overbuilt tanks. They really are great for what they are. They shoot to point of aim and they will just go and go. But, they aren't true Colt clones, the oversize proportions are a bit off and they don't have a half cock. Also, there's not the four clicks when cocking the hammers.

But they were what I could afford and they carried me through many matches. I used to run 100 rounds a week through each one practicing. They are old friends for sure.
03-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Those are a nice place to start the hand gun affliction. My first was nowhere near as nice as yours.
03-21-2018, 05:09 PM
(03-20-2018 11:50 AM)Dan Cash Wrote:  Those are a nice place to start the hand gun affliction. My first was nowhere near as nice as yours.

Thank you. I was working two jobs back then, one paid mostly for hobbies.
10-11-2019, 10:04 PM
(03-21-2018 05:09 PM)Hanz Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 11:50 AM)Dan Cash Wrote:  Those are a nice place to start the hand gun affliction. My first was nowhere near as nice as yours.

Thank you. I was working two jobs back then, one paid mostly for hobbies.
10-11-2019, 10:06 PM
I have a 45 Colt. New Model Vaquero. I shoot 240 grain cast bullets atop 30 grains of 3Fg Swiss blackpowder. It scares the hell out of guys shooting 1911's and Glocks at my local range.
10-11-2019, 10:15 PM
That 45 really is a hoot with black.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.