Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dean Scoggin Memorial match
07-30-2017, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2017 10:11 PM by Don McDowell.)
Dean Scoggin Memorial match
50 shooters ventured to the Alliance Rifle Club's Hoffland range for the "Dean" match. Course of fire was 1 sighter and 12 shots at each of 3 targets at 1000 yards. Those targets were a 48 " circle and 6 ft. square, and a 5 ft. octagon. The Hofflands famous mirage in infamous subtle wind changes, and lying wind flags made for some frustration on some relays. Day two was 8 shots no sighters at each of the 3 targets. Tough way to shoot 1000 yards to be sure.
All in all it was a great match the covered firing line was divided into 3 groups, 1 group for every 2 bays. 3 relays of 8 shooters on the line. The nice part was you choose which group you wanted to shoot in, and then except for moving your gear on and off the line, there was no moving from one target to the next.
Mr. Jim Bourne is planning to make this an annual event.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2017, 10:10 PM
RE: Dean Scoggin Memorial match

The winners

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
07-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Special thanks to Steve and Gail Brooks, MVA, Graf's, and John Booker for the prize donations.

07-30-2017, 10:56 PM
(07-30-2017 10:09 PM)Don McDowell Wrote:  50 shooters ventured to the Alliance Rifle Club's Hoffland range for the "Dean" match. Course of fire was 1 sighter and 12 shots at each of 3 targets at 1000 yards. Those targets were a 48 " circle and 6 ft. square, and a 5 ft. octagon. The Hofflands famous mirage in infamous subtle wind changes, and lying wind flags made for some frustration on some relays. Day two was 8 shots no sighters at each of the 3 targets. Tough way to shoot 1000 yards to be sure.
All in all it was a great match the covered firing line was divided into 3 groups, 1 group for every 2 bays. 3 relays of 8 shooters on the line. The nice part was you choose which group you wanted to shoot in, and then except for moving your gear on and off the line, there was no moving from one target to the next.
Mr. Jim Bourne is planning to make this an annual event.

Don,

Thanks for posting. I had originally planned on attending but Dad has been in bad health and passed on a few days ago. Looks like you did pretty well yourself. I will put it on my schedule for next year. What caliber did you shoot?

Rick
07-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Rick my condolences on the loss of your Dad. May god rest his soul and bless his survivors.

I shot my 45-90 on Saturday, and my 40-90 today. I was thinking to run the 40-90 , but had an issue with a screw in the sight, so fell back on the trusty 90 until we went in to town for super last night, and got a screw we could adapt , and solve the problem.. It's always good to have a top notch mechanic as your spotter (Eddie Hayes).
I didn't shoot as well as I would have liked today, but was tickled pink with as good as that rifle did run. I still haven't shot 100 rounds thru it since I've owned it.

07-31-2017, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2017 10:06 AM by Old Jim.)
Its good to have a dependable ol' 45-90 to fall back on when all else fails Big GrinTongue!

Good shootin' there Don.

Jim

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
07-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Bob Watts, where were you? Needed more PP shooters.
07-31-2017, 03:23 PM
(07-31-2017 10:05 AM)Old Jim Wrote:  Its good to have a dependable ol' 45-90 to fall back on when all else fails Big GrinTongue!

Good shootin' there Don.

Jim

Thanks Jim

07-31-2017, 03:24 PM
Mike I think there were 6 or 7 of us shooting patched bullets. I do wonder who it was shooting the twisted tails, that Jim was finding still attached to the base in front of the target.
It was sort of funny, in front of the firing line where we shot, the ground was covered with confetti and wads.

08-01-2017, 03:05 PM
The official scores fresh from match director Jim Bourne.

.xlsx  DEAN SCORE SHT.xlsx (Size: 33.56 KB / Downloads: 24)